From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Oct 7, 6:28 pm, Grant <g_r_a_n...(a)bugsplatter.id.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:18:20 +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettri...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> >news.tiscali schrieb:
>
> >> How do you install a Gui, small and fast, with Ubuntu server?
>
> >I wonder why you ever want to have a GUI on an *server*?
> >Who should see and use it?
>
> I'm thinking of doing that just so I can run firefox to talk sense
> to the ADSL modem, as it uses html frames :(
>
> Unless there's some way to teach linux to let another box look at
> the modem IP:80 on a eth0:1 dev or something?
>
> I don't use *ubuntu.  Slackware would be a better server install
> anyway :)  Optional GUI.
>
> Grant.
> --http://bugsplatter.id.au

lynx, links, and elinks work quite well for non-Flash based web pages
with purely text interfaces. (They're curses based, which isn't
Sidney's much-ballyhooed "command line", but we know how far he gets
with that approach.). But if your server is actually serving a complex
web application, you probably want an actual web client so that you
can test it from the console. I've certainly installed browsers and
GUI's for exactly that purpose.
From: Grant on
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:18:06 -0700 (PDT), Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 7, 6:28 pm, Grant <g_r_a_n...(a)bugsplatter.id.au> wrote:

>> >I wonder why you ever want to have a GUI on an *server*?
>> >Who should see and use it?
>>
>> I'm thinking of doing that just so I can run firefox to talk sense
>> to the ADSL modem, as it uses html frames :(
>>
>> Unless there's some way to teach linux to let another box look at
>> the modem IP:80 on a eth0:1 dev or something?

>lynx, links, and elinks work quite well for non-Flash based web pages
>with purely text interfaces. (They're curses based, which isn't
>Sidney's much-ballyhooed "command line", but we know how far he gets
>with that approach.). But if your server is actually serving a complex
>web application, you probably want an actual web client so that you
>can test it from the console. I've certainly installed browsers and
>GUI's for exactly that purpose.

Not _my_ server, the web server inside the D-Link DSL-302G modem ;)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: Jon Solberg on
On 2009-10-07, Grant <g_r_a_n_t_(a)bugsplatter.id.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:18:20 +0200,
> Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> I don't use *ubuntu. Slackware would be a better server install
> anyway :) Optional GUI.

And, of course, the same applies for the server edition of Ubuntu. I
haven't tried, but I would find it very hard to believe that it
wouldn't be possible to uninstall the GNOME and the X-server (and
related packages) and install a LAMPS ditto on a standard desktop
install. A bit more work if your goal is to have a server, but
doable.

I run quite a lot of services (afs, ssh, http and smtp) on my desktop
(since I threw out the server box a couple of years back) and usually
administer them via the CLI.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).