From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jan 4, 10:48 am, Ohmster <r...(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:c1e46759-4075-4e8f-
> a30f-3e8bddede...(a)k23g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Now, now. Be nice. It seems clear that the original poster believed
> > that you can pick and  choose individual components to upgrade over an
> > extended period, and not run into dependency hell. That doesn't work
> > well, and it *cannot* be ignored over time.
>
> > Ohmster, *stop playing with updating one package at a time". How did
> > you *get* all these FC6 packages left behind? Did you update to FC 9
> > by picking and choosing individual packages from FC 9 to update to,
> > and never bothered with the FC6 packages? It's *nasty* trying to go
> > back and resolve those dependencies one at a time, as you are
> > learning. Run a "yum check-update", and start going down the list of
> > update packages one at a time. That should let you get most of the
> > dependencies, and then you can run "yum list extras" and re-run "yum
> > check update" to get a list of targets to try on the next round, and
> > targets that should be flushed or updated that come from other
> > locations.
>
> Late for work, have to leave a quick reply now, more later.
>
> I wanted beryl and the spinning cube really bad and found a step by step
> web site that had me add non-standard repos to my yum repo list. I
> followed the instructions and got a really, really nice working beryl 3D
> desktop with all the bells and whistles. Since I did not change my repos
> back (Forgot?), a lot of stuff got updated from those repos, especially
> with dependencies. I tried to do a group update with Gnome desktop and
> with X windows system, all failed multiple dependencies so I really think
> that it is time to get some new fedora discs and do this right.

Oh, dear gods. That explains it. I wish you'd mentioned using oddball
repositories earlier.

Cleaning up that kind of mess would take me a day, with good
bandwidth, and I'd bill you for it if you needed it that badly. But
you should be able to add the new disk, set it up with a live CD, set
up LVM on the new disk with a different Volume and Group name, or use
Fedora disks to *manually* configure disks and set them up
appropriately.

> I can upgrade or install fresh, would probably not be in my best interest
> to install fresh. I am just really worried that fedora 12 or whatever we
> are up to, will install as VolGroup00 and then I will not be able to
> mount my old system disk to pull configs and files from it. This may be a
> ways off in the future but not too long, got a nice 400Gb drive right
> here for it. Might have to try your suggestions in the meantime. Now that
> Firefox is really updated to version 3, it won't run, gives error:
>
> [ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ firefox
> /usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xulrunner-
> 1.9pre/libxul.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_prepare_v2
> [ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$
>
> If I could get firefox to work, that would be nice as I could use it
> until I can get past this install issue. I use my Linux box as a router,
> web, and ftp server as well as a local mail server so taking it down for
> a long time is not something I really want to do but will if I have to.
>
> Thank you for being kind. Will check back here later.

Good luck. *I* think you need another box.

Can you get VNC working to another box where you can use Firefox?
From: Ohmster on
Bill Marcum <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in

>> Oh Christ, what did I do and more important, how can I get my
>> Xwindows back with beryl and all that cool stuff, all gone! Please
>> help.
>>
> Maybe it's time to install a more recent distro.

It definitely is Bill. Just trying to cobble together what I have now but
for sure, it's time.

--
~Ohmster
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

> yum update termcap
>
> You will most likely have something else broken, all those fc6 things
> really has caused you these problems and you need to replace those
> with the correct packages.

You ain't kidding Aho. A little digging showed fc6 packages mixed in all
over the place! I updated bash and ncurses went with it and now no more
termcap errors. I got x running again but even the x server is a mix of
fc6 rpms. I like it because it does beryl very well but I really do need
a stable distro. Going to see what is current, download and burn the DVD,
and see if there is anyway around this LVM disk that fedora wants to
instal, and have at it, Thanks

--
~Ohmster
From: Ohmster on
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:bfa3981f-5d53-47e8-
8bb8-45fbc8e58d73(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> Oh, dear gods. That explains it. I wish you'd mentioned using oddball
> repositories earlier.
>
> Cleaning up that kind of mess would take me a day, with good
> bandwidth, and I'd bill you for it if you needed it that badly. But
> you should be able to add the new disk, set it up with a live CD, set
> up LVM on the new disk with a different Volume and Group name, or use
> Fedora disks to *manually* configure disks and set them up
> appropriately.

Nico,

Hah! I did not see your offer in the begriming of this paragraph. Thank
you for the offer, that would be pretty neat, you clean it up remotely
with my cable connection and I pay for the service, but, to me, Linux is
about the learning. l love it because I learn new things. I just copied
the lvm man page to a text file so that I can read it more easily with a
list of all of the major lvm tools that I will be able to use. I also
found the FAQ at TLDP, LVM HOWTO, and found some good reasons to use lvm
in Chapter 2. What is Logical Volume Management?, Section 2.2. Benefits
of Logical Volume Management on a Small System actually makes good sense
and I will use this as a tool for my next install so that I know what the
heck I am doing this time and can name and create the volumes as
necessary, label them appropriately, and size them accordingly. I
especially like that you can move the space around if you need to or even
add another disk to the file system and it just blends right into the
file system as a whole and can then be doled out where it is needed most,
in more than one area if need be. This sure beats the old method of
splicing in a new drive under "\home" like I used to do.

Maybe lvm is not so bad, once you get to understand it and use it
properly. Oh and thanks for the cleanup offer. That was very generous as
a task like that might tale forever, even though you do know what you are
doing.
--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jan 4, 8:38 pm, Ohmster <r...(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:bfa3981f-5d53-47e8-
> 8bb8-45fbc8e58...(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Oh, dear gods. That explains it. I wish you'd mentioned using oddball
> > repositories earlier.
>
> > Cleaning up that kind of mess would take me a day, with good
> > bandwidth, and I'd bill you for it if you needed it that badly. But
> > you should be able to add the new disk, set it up with a live CD, set
> > up LVM on the new disk with a different Volume and Group name, or use
> > Fedora disks to *manually* configure disks and set them up
> > appropriately.
>
> Nico,
>
> Hah! I did not see your offer in the begriming of this paragraph. Thank
> you for the offer, that would be pretty neat, you clean it up remotely
> with my cable connection and I pay for the service, but, to me, Linux is
> about the learning. l love it because I learn new things. I just copied

It's also enlightened self-interest. I'm doing small consulting jobs
right now while looking for new work. (The last workplace was good in
many ways, bad for me personally in others, and the work I had lined
up next didn't happen: so I'm hunting. In *this* economy, arrrrgghhh!)

> the lvm man page to a text file so that I can read it more easily with a
> list of all of the major lvm tools that I will be able to use. I also

Oh, sensible. And by the way, many older man pages look *AWFUL* with
the default "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" settings. I often find it handy to
reset my LANG with "export LANG=C" to fix manpage output. This also
fixes the case insensitivity problem of the "sort" command. As a hint,
I *HATE* that en_US.UTF-8 is case insensitive. Hate, hate, hate, hate.

> found the FAQ at TLDP, LVM HOWTO, and found some good reasons to use lvm
> in Chapter 2. What is Logical Volume Management?, Section 2.2. Benefits
> of Logical Volume Management on a Small System actually makes good sense
> and I will use this as a tool for my next install so that I know what the
> heck I am doing this time and can name and create the volumes as
> necessary, label them appropriately, and size them accordingly. I
> especially like that you can move the space around if you need to or even
> add another disk to the file system and it just blends right into the
> file system as a whole and can then be doled out where it is needed most,
> in more than one area if need be. This sure beats the old method of
> splicing in a new drive under "\home" like I used to do.

??? Be cautious there. It expands the apparent *partition* easily, and
it's very handy this way. But resizing the filesystem is trickier.
gparted, or Gnome Parted, is pretty good for this, but that takes X
Windows working to run and is thus trickier to use in a stripped down
server setup.

> Maybe lvm is not so bad, once you get to understand it and use it
> properly. Oh and thanks for the cleanup offer. That was very generous as
> a task like that might tale forever, even though you do know what you are
> doing.

Oh, it's cool and lightweight. It does have a slight performance cost
over using good hardware RAID or raw partitions. And the snapshot
utility is *wonderful*, for doing filesystem snapshots of databases
and doing the backups from the snapshot. I used to use that on MySQL
servers to speed backup. Using it in virtualized operating systems is
also usually pretty silly, since you can turn off the virtualized OS
and manipulate its disk space directly from the virtual server.