From: Ohmster on
Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote in

> What exactly is it that you do, that requires management of huge disk
> space? Why would you need LVM, or to "splice in a new drive" on a
> normal home system?

Nothing really Dan. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons of an LVM
filesystem. Apparently Fedora thinks everyone should have one as it is
their default install method. I would much rather keep it simple like
before with an ext3 filesystem instead of this lvm stuff.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote in news:pan.2010.01.05.14.01.49
@moria.lan:

>> It definitely is Bill. Just trying to cobble together what I have now
>> but for sure, it's time.
>
> Then quit cobbling, and friggin install something from this century.

LOL!

Thanks for the shove, Dan. ;>)

From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote in
>
>> What exactly is it that you do, that requires management of huge disk
>> space? Why would you need LVM, or to "splice in a new drive" on a
>> normal home system?
>>

> Nothing really Dan. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons of an LVM
> filesystem. Apparently Fedora thinks everyone should have one as it is
> their default install method. I would much rather keep it simple like
> before with an ext3 filesystem instead of this lvm stuff.

You can, if you choose to setup the slices/partitions yourself instead of
using the default.

I believe that the LVM usage in RedHat has it's root in that there was some
users who got into trouble when their / got too small and got filled up to
fast, now they can take space from /home and move it to / without loosing date
(of course resize a file system can lead to data loss).

Myself I use normal file systems on most of my slices, while one storage
slices I use LVM, that way I can expand it when needed (adding a new hard
drive reduces the problem of moving all files) and on the VM's I have, thats
so I can make snapshots and backups and of course have a mirror of the system,
just in case.

--

//Aho
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in news:7qj012Fqa7U1
@mid.individual.net:

> IMHO ext3 suxx, just ext2 with journal added.
>
> --
>
> //Aho

I thought that the journal addition was a good thing. What do you like Aho?

From: Ohmster on
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:09ced5aa-d332-4211-9d2c-
fc76c9c7a6e3(a)h10g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

> What? No, wait. EXT3 is the *filesystem*. LVM is a way of creating
> what look like *partitions* out of drives or other partitions, similar
> to what RAID0 does but with more flexibility. You can use other
> filesystems on LVM, and it simply does not care.
>
> The awkward part is resizing and re-arranging components of LVM,
> without causing trouble for the filesystem living on top of it.

My bad, I meant regular disk partitions instead of a movible LVM system.
Thanks for the correction.