From: Ohmster on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote in

> Oh Christ, what did I do and more important, how can I get my Xwindows
> back with beryl and all that cool stuff, all gone! Please help.

What a can of worms I opened up here. Bash no longer works right, the clear
command cannot be found. I can start X with Xorg in the /usr/bin/ directory
but all it does is make a black screen with a big X cursor, no desktop or
anything.

Looking at rpm -q xorg gives
xorg-x11-server1.1.1-47.10.fc6

More fedora core 6 stuff on my fc9 machine!

I am probably going to have to reinstall but I have so many configs on this
machine that I need to keep, this is a nightmare.

Well, yum is really working good now, I just updated bash and it also
updated ncurses to go with it and so clear works again. Wonder if I can
update my x server this way. Wish me luck and Please, Please give me
advice!

Thank you.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote in news:Xns9CF5CFA9C6554MyBigKitty@
216.196.97.131:

> Well, yum is really working good now, I just updated bash and it also
> updated ncurses to go with it and so clear works again. Wonder if I can
> update my x server this way. Wish me luck and Please, Please give me
> advice!
>
> Thank you.

I just did a "sudo yum update xorg*" out of frustration, I want my
xwindows back and Aho was right, there *are* a lot of fc6 packages on my
machine, even the x11 server itself is fc6 and it worked so good too,
with beryl working and the spinning cube and all that stuff. Wahhhhh!

There were some web pages that suggested updating the entire x system as
a groupupdate but that did not work at all, no group to update so I
resorted to:
sudo yum update xorg-x11
and man did that ever start something huge! It found a ton of stuff to
update and then dependencies to resolve, it has been going at this for 15
minutes already and finally croaked, this is the result.

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package livna-
config-display
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.6 is needed by package BitchX
Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib = 1.1.6 is needed by package xine-
lib-extras-nonfree
Error: Missing Dependency: libFLAC.so.7 is needed by package vlc
Error: Missing Dependency: libwnck-1.so.18 is needed by package
brightside
Error: Missing Dependency: libwnck-1.so.18 is needed by package cgwd
Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3 is needed by package
gstreamer-plugins-ugly
Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3 is needed by package vlc
Error: Missing Dependency: liblber-2.3.so.0 is needed by package pine
Error: Missing Dependency: libldap-2.3.so.0 is needed by package pine
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package
gstreamer08-python
Error: Missing Dependency: libwnck-1.so.18 is needed by package heliodor
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package beryl-
settings
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.6 is needed by package ckermit
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.6 is needed by package ckermit
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.6 is needed by package BitchX
Error: Missing Dependency: libmpcdec.so.3 is needed by package vlc
Error: Missing Dependency: libmpcdec.so.3 is needed by package mplayer
Error: Missing Dependency: libFLAC.so.7 is needed by package gstreamer08-
plugins
Error: Missing Dependency: libkdecorations.so.1 is needed by package
aquamarine
Error: Missing Dependency: akode = 2.0.1 is needed by package akode-
extras
Error: Missing Dependency: libmpcdec.so.3 is needed by package mplayer-
gui
[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$

And that is it, it will not update. Dam. Can anybody break this down into
bite sized pieces to update somehow? I really want my xwindows back or
should I just try to update with an fc10 set of discs?

From: Ohmster on
Bill Marcum <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in news:nqu717-0rv.ln1
@marcumbill.bellsouth.net:

> Maybe it's time to install a more recent distro.

Well the update to xorg did not work, failed dependencies. But, me fixing
bash and ncurses seemed to fix all the email I was getting about libtermcap
and now the clear command works. Xwindows works too now but even though I
got firefox updated, it won't run!

[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ firefox
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xulrunner-
1.9pre/libxul.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_prepare_v2
[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$

How do you fix that?

Oh it definitely is Bill. I have a nice 400Gb IDE drive for the machine,
brand new, ready to go but I do not want to get stuck like I did before
where fedora installs as VolGroup00 and the original hard disk is also an
lvm disk, VolGroup00 because it is impossible to mount two lvm disks with
the same name. I need to pull docs and configs from the old drive so I must
find a way around this issue.

But you are oh so right, it is way overdue for a more recent version
install.

From: Ohmster on
elephant <elephant(a)ohmster.invalid> wrote in

[..]
> A few years later, the LVM issue arose. (No this ISN'T the first
> time.) You'd think he would have saved all the Usenet posts that
> explained how to proceed. He responded to all of them with, "Saved.
> I'll look at this in more detail as I have time." Here he is again
> complaining about LVM. Guess he never got time to look at all those
> posts he saved.
[..]

Wow, you really do have an elephant's memory. I do have the lvm docs saved,
and they are for how to rescue an lvm disc that was damaged. I have nothing
on how to backup an lvm disc or install fedora to a different disk other
than VolGroup00.

I come here for help, most people are helpful and polite. If someone knows
how to install fedora without putting it on the VolGropup00, then I am all
ears. I need this kind of help, hopefully from someone that has done it
before.

I am begriming to see that there is too much of a mis match in packages to
really save this install. So I want to go clean and somehow save the disk
that is currently running and get stuff off of it. I am not a Linux Admin
nor do I work with Linux every day. If you want to be helpful I for sure
will appreciate and pay attention, do what you recommend, and tell you how
it went. If you just want to beat up on somebody, I really don't have time
for it fellow.

Cheers.
From: Ohmster on
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:c1e46759-4075-4e8f-
a30f-3e8bddeded85(a)k23g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> Now, now. Be nice. It seems clear that the original poster believed
> that you can pick and choose individual components to upgrade over an
> extended period, and not run into dependency hell. That doesn't work
> well, and it *cannot* be ignored over time.
>
> Ohmster, *stop playing with updating one package at a time". How did
> you *get* all these FC6 packages left behind? Did you update to FC 9
> by picking and choosing individual packages from FC 9 to update to,
> and never bothered with the FC6 packages? It's *nasty* trying to go
> back and resolve those dependencies one at a time, as you are
> learning. Run a "yum check-update", and start going down the list of
> update packages one at a time. That should let you get most of the
> dependencies, and then you can run "yum list extras" and re-run "yum
> check update" to get a list of targets to try on the next round, and
> targets that should be flushed or updated that come from other
> locations.

Late for work, have to leave a quick reply now, more later.

I wanted beryl and the spinning cube really bad and found a step by step
web site that had me add non-standard repos to my yum repo list. I
followed the instructions and got a really, really nice working beryl 3D
desktop with all the bells and whistles. Since I did not change my repos
back (Forgot?), a lot of stuff got updated from those repos, especially
with dependencies. I tried to do a group update with Gnome desktop and
with X windows system, all failed multiple dependencies so I really think
that it is time to get some new fedora discs and do this right.

I can upgrade or install fresh, would probably not be in my best interest
to install fresh. I am just really worried that fedora 12 or whatever we
are up to, will install as VolGroup00 and then I will not be able to
mount my old system disk to pull configs and files from it. This may be a
ways off in the future but not too long, got a nice 400Gb drive right
here for it. Might have to try your suggestions in the meantime. Now that
Firefox is really updated to version 3, it won't run, gives error:

[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ firefox
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xulrunner-
1.9pre/libxul.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_prepare_v2
[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$

If I could get firefox to work, that would be nice as I could use it
until I can get past this install issue. I use my Linux box as a router,
web, and ftp server as well as a local mail server so taking it down for
a long time is not something I really want to do but will if I have to.

Thank you for being kind. Will check back here later.