From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Nico Kadel-Garcia may or may not have written...

[snip]
> And by the way, many older man pages look *AWFUL* with the default
> "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" settings. I often find it handy to reset my LANG with
> "export LANG=C" to fix manpage output. This also fixes the case
> insensitivity problem of the "sort" command. As a hint, I *HATE* that
> en_US.UTF-8 is case insensitive. Hate, hate, hate, hate.

export LC_COLLATE=C

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + Vermin Media. It's not "nothing to hide" but "you're invading my
privacy".

fanatic: n. One enthusiastic about something about which you don't care.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Jasen Betts may or may not have written...

[snip]
> When I upgraded my hard drive I went with ext4 as I couldn't see any
> downsides, but I don't see any installers that offer it.

> anyone know why?

Too new (at feature-freeze time) seems likely. I recently saw something about
ext4 support being added to debian-installer, though...

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

Microsoft. Where Are You Going To Be Forced To Go Today?
From: John Thompson on
On 2010-01-08, Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote:

> On 2010-01-06, Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:08:16 -0600, Ohmster wrote:
>>
>>> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in news:7qj012Fqa7U1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> I thought that the journal addition was a good thing. What do you like
>>> Aho?
>>
>> It is a good thing. EXT3 is the right choice.
>
> When I upgraded my hard drive I went with ext4 as I couldn't see any
> downsides, but I don't see any installers that offer it.
>
> anyone know why?

When I installed xubuntu-9.10 on my netbook a couple weeks ago, ext4 was
the default filesystem offered.

--

-John (john(a)os2.dhs.org)