From: Ohmster on
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in news:hi1fkl$1qm$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> LVM has nothing to do with ext3 or whatever other type of filesystem.
> LVM is a way of offering more flexibility in the choosing of a
> partitioning layout by adding an additional layer on top of the
> conventional partitioning, in which a partition can then contain
> multiple "sub-partitions" - the logical volumes - which are more easily
> resizable since one does not have to fiddle with partition tables.
>
> Like conventional partitions, logical volumes need to be formatted with
> a filesystem - this can be ext3, or it could be something else, like
> XFS, JFS or reiserfs - before they can be used. Logical volumes must
> be part of a "volume group", but it is possible to use multiple volume
> groups on a single hard disk, in which case it is best to assign each
> volume group to a physical partition.

Thanks for the excellent education Aragorn. I kind of got the two mixed up.
I meant a regular partition disk instead of an LVM divided one. But this
does explain a lot, thanks buddy.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in news:7qj012Fqa7U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> IMHO ext3 suxx, just ext2 with journal added.
>>
> I thought that the journal addition was a good thing. What do you like Aho?

Depends on what I do with the machine, unstable or machines where I may need
to shrink the file system, reiserfs else jfs.

--

//Aho
From: GangGreene on
Dan C wrote:

[putolin]

>> IMHO ext3 suxx, just ext2 with journal added.
>
> Exactly. Which makes it safe and stable. Good performance and
> stability. What more would you want from your file system?
>
> Please don't even mention the word "reiser"...

OK JFS

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 06 January 2010 16:35 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
as Dan C wrote...

> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:30:03 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> IMHO ext3 suxx, just ext2 with journal added.
>
> Exactly. Which makes it safe and stable. Good performance and
> stability.

Well, that's in the eye of the beholder, Dan. ;-)

> What more would you want from your file system?

More performance and reliability, perhaps? ;-) Multiple B-plus trees,
for instance? ;-)

> Please don't even mention the word "reiser"...

/reiserfs/ (v3.6) is quite good and it's faster than /ext3/ but it lacks
a decent toolchain. XFS on the other hand is just as reliable
as /ext2/ or /ext3/ - if not more reliable, given that it's been the
default filesystem in IRIX since 1996 - but is a B+ tree filesystem
with extremely high performance, a complete toolchain (unlike reiserfs)
and a rather secure filesystem too, since it zeroes out damaged blocks.
It also allows for online snapshotting. It's acknowledged as an
industry standard filesystem.

It's all a matter of taste, really, and of the intended purpose and
deployment of the machine. /ext3/ is a decent filesystem for most
usages, but certainly not "the best" or "the best performing". /ext4/
promises to be faster, but I'm not too familiar with all of its
properties yet.

Another interesting project, albeit not quite stable yet, is the new
Btrfs (pronounced as "butter filesystem"), which has been submitted to
the Linux kernel by Oracle. It's still heavily in beta stage but it's
already included in the upstream sources from Linus & friends. It more
or less offers all the goodies that Sun's ZFS offers, i.e. an
integrated filesystem _and_ logical volume manager. It's an
interesting project, albeit not ready for prime time yet.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Ohmster on
Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote in news:pan.2010.01.06.15.36.16
@moria.lan:

> It is a good thing. EXT3 is the right choice.

That is exactly what I believe.