From: John Fields on
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 04:17:22 -0500, Toolpackinmama
<philnblanc(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Skybuck wrote:
>
>> Not so long ago I cleaned the pc-case dust filters while the pc was
>> running... I decided not to dry the dust filters thoroughly because a
>> kid on youtube also didn't try them thoroughly...
>
>Is this guy for real? Or is this some kind of parody, like SPINALTAP?

---
He's just another troll.

JF
From: Norman Peelman on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> "Toolpackinmama" <philnblanc(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Real, can't find the video of the kid...
>>>
>>> But search for antec 1200 and you'll see plenty of people washing their
>>> dust filters with water ! ;)
>>>
>>> Makes ya wonder doesn't it ! ;) :)
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.
>> Nothing wrong with that as long as you let them dry out.
>
> But then one needs to wait... which is "down time"... and might be
> unneccessary ?
> (Also cleaning it dry takes more time and toiletpaper ! ;))
>
> The real question is:
>
> What happens if it's slightly wet/moisturish ;)
>
> Anybody know ? ;) :) =D
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck ;) =D

What happens if you just run the system without the dust filter on
until it dries? Would it be so bad? Oh wait, why not get extra dust
filters so you can rotate them out for cleaning...

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
From: Michael W. Ryder on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> "Toolpackinmama" <philnblanc(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Real, can't find the video of the kid...
>>>
>>> But search for antec 1200 and you'll see plenty of people washing their
>>> dust filters with water ! ;)
>>>
>>> Makes ya wonder doesn't it ! ;) :)
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.
>> Nothing wrong with that as long as you let them dry out.
>
> But then one needs to wait... which is "down time"... and might be
> unneccessary ?
> (Also cleaning it dry takes more time and toiletpaper ! ;))
>
> The real question is:
>
> What happens if it's slightly wet/moisturish ;)
>
> Anybody know ? ;) :) =D

Nothing. They have been using cleanable filters on computers since
before you were born and have never had a problem with moisture. You
have to remember that the air coming off a "damp" filter probably does
not have any more moisture than room air on a muggy day unless you are
in a clean room and then you wouldn't need the filters.

From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> Nothing wrong with that as long as you let them dry out.
>>
>> But then one needs to wait... which is "down time"... and might be
>> unneccessary ?
>> (Also cleaning it dry takes more time and toiletpaper ! ;))
>>
>> The real question is:
>>
>> What happens if it's slightly wet/moisturish ;)
>>
>> Anybody know ? ;) :) =D
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck ;) =D
>>

> What happens if you just run the system without the dust filter on until
> it dries? Would it be so bad? Oh wait, why not get extra dust filters so
> you can rotate them out for cleaning...

I thought about the idea of extra dust filters... might be a nice idea for
antec in the future ! Why didn't they think of it ! ;) :)

I would still like to know the answer to my question:

What happens if the air in the room is moisterish... for example... suppose
I take a shower... and there is this gas burning near the pc... lot's of
gasses being burned and expelled into the air...

What will the effect of burned gas be on for example the asus motherboard
?!?

I am beginning to suspect that the asus motherboard in combination with
burned gasses, some moisture and heat... is corroding or so... ?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Zootal on

"Skybuck Flying" <BloodyShame(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> But then one needs to wait... which is "down time"... and might be
>>> unneccessary ?
>>> (Also cleaning it dry takes more time and toiletpaper ! ;))
>>>
>>> The real question is:
>>>
>>> What happens if it's slightly wet/moisturish ;)
>>>
>>> Anybody know ? ;) :) =D
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck ;) =D
>>>

>> What happens if you just run the system without the dust filter on
>> until it dries? Would it be so bad? Oh wait, why not get extra dust
>> filters so you can rotate them out for cleaning...
>
> I thought about the idea of extra dust filters... might be a nice idea for
> antec in the future ! Why didn't they think of it ! ;) :)
>
> I would still like to know the answer to my question:
>
> What happens if the air in the room is moisterish... for example...
> suppose I take a shower... and there is this gas burning near the pc...
> lot's of gasses being burned and expelled into the air...
>
> What will the effect of burned gas be on for example the asus motherboard
> ?!?
>
> I am beginning to suspect that the asus motherboard in combination with
> burned gasses, some moisture and heat... is corroding or so... ?!?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Mother boards and related equipment have environmental ratings that tell you
the maximum humidity and temperature they will tolerate. Exceed that and you
run the risk of condensation and corrosion. Condensation on high frequency
high impedance circuits can bring your computer down right now, blammo, and
stay down until it dries. Just putting a finger across some of these traces
will crash your computer. Extended exposure to moisture can cause corrosion
that can eventually kill your computer, though you would have to run it in a
sweathouse to get that to happen. The heat inside of the case is usually
enough to keep moisture from condensing under most circumstances. A moist
dust filter and the temporary increase in humidity is not likely to hurt
anything.

And if you put your computer in your oven, then it isn't the burned gasses
that will kill it...