From: Skybuck on
Hello,

Accoring to memtest86+ at least one of the memory chips in Skybuck's
Dream PC from 2006 is damaged and has a bit error.

It turns out the memory chip was *new* from corsair which means it was
not touched by the plastic sticker tape incident.

This probably means that the bit error could have been caused by heat
expelled from the heatpipes of the top down cpu cooler (Scythe Zipang
CPU Cooler).

I have taken some pictures to show you guys and to get some response
from what you think killed it... (I am pretty convinced it was heat
from heatpipe and will probably change the orientation from the cpu
cooler again ?! hopefully for the last time... ;) I am not sure if
it's possible though but I might give it a try.)

Long ago somebody recommended I place the heatpipes near the big fan
at the top... now I kinda wish I had done that from the start it might
have saved a lot of damage...or maybe not ?!?
But now I think it could have... maybe sucking away air around
heatpipes is a good thing...

Anyway here are the pictures:

Main folder:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/

Picture 1:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic1BitErrorsDetected.JPG

Picture2:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic2HeatpipesAsSuspect.JPG

Picture3:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic3HeatpipesCloseUp.JPG

Picture4:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic4PlentyOfFans.JPG

Picture5:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic5LittleRoomForMemoryChips.JPG

Picture6:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic6SomeDustOnTopDownCPUCooler.JPG

Picture 7:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic7Overview.JPG

Picture8:
http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic8FailedChipWasNew.JPG

I was also wondering if it's maybe possible to not use dim1 which is
closest to the cpu ?!?
I doubt it though...anyway I think it's best to get those hot
heatpipes away from the memory chips...

I guess this was also kinda a experiment to see what would happen and
yup after many months... a memory chip got damaged ! So that pretty
much confirms the experiment for me: "heatpipes near memory chips not
a good idea ?!"

Let me know what you think and peace out !

For me this is becoming a drag... I have fixed this pc so many times
it's starting to bum-me-out.

Feels like I am fixing a formula 1 car or dragracing car all the
time ! LOL I am kinda fed up with it ! ;)

Heat is a killer that's for sure ! My next PC must be a "cool" and
"low heat" and "low power pc" otherwise I will go nuts ! ;) :) (And
hopefully have still somewhat decent performance ;))

Bye,
Skybuck.
From: The Central Screwtinizer on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:26:07 -0700 (PDT), Skybuck <skybuck2000(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
[...] otherwise I will go nuts !

That ship already sailed long ago, son...
From: larry moe 'n curly on

Skybuck wrote:

> Accoring to memtest86+ at least one of the memory chips in Skybuck's
> Dream PC from 2006 is damaged and has a bit error.
>
> It turns out the memory chip was *new* from corsair which means it was
> not touched by the plastic sticker tape incident.
>
> This probably means that the bit error could have been caused by heat
> expelled from the heatpipes of the top down cpu cooler (Scythe Zipang
> CPU Cooler).
>
> I have taken some pictures to show you guys and to get some response
> from what you think killed it... (I am pretty convinced it was heat
> from heatpipe and will probably change the orientation from the cpu
> cooler again ?! hopefully for the last time... ;) I am not sure if
> it's possible though but I might give it a try.)
>
> Long ago somebody recommended I place the heatpipes near the big fan
> at the top... now I kinda wish I had done that from the start it might
> have saved a lot of damage...or maybe not ?!?
> But now I think it could have... maybe sucking away air around
> heatpipes is a good thing...
>
> Anyway here are the pictures:

> Picture2:
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic2HeatpipesAsSuspect.JPG

Doesn't indicate heatpipes at fault; view doesn't show whether or not
heatpipes are touching chips or module circuit boards.

> Picture3:
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic3HeatpipesCloseUp.JPG

It looks like they're not touching, but I can't be sure. If they are,
you can protect them by placing cardboard between the pieces. If you
want to be fancy, get fish paper from an electronics supply.

> Picture4:
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic4PlentyOfFans.JPG

Too many fans. Silly cooling setup. Memory doesn't mind heat --
notice Micron and Samsung specify 85-95 Celcius max. operating temp.
for their DDR2 chips.

> Picture8:
> http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/MemoryCorruption/Pic8FailedChipWasNew.JPG

Where are the chips? All I see are the modules, which have heatsinks
over the chips.

The only ways a heatpipe could have caused damage:

1. It pressed against a heatsink and made a chip glued to it pull away
from the circuit board.

2. It touched the edge of the circuit board and just happened to short
some copper plane or traces right at the edge. But I thought module
circuit boards were designed to leave a tiny bit of space between the
copper and the edges.

But it couldn't have been the heat because the contact area was too
small, even if the contact was against a heatsink.

You're not using the world's best memory because the chips are covered
by heatsinks, and Corsair admits that it uses UTT (UnTesTed) RAM
chips, rather than prime quality chips (will have actual
manufacturer's ID markings on chip packages).

> I was also wondering if it's maybe possible to not use dim1 which is
> closest to the cpu ?!?

Almost always.

> I doubt it though...anyway I think it's best to get those hot
> heatpipes away from the memory chips...

They probably don't matter.
From: SteveH on
Skybuck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have taken some pictures to show you guys and to get some response
> from what you think killed it... (I am pretty convinced it was heat

All those pictures show is that you live in a dusty environment and either
don't have air filters on your PC, or don't clean it enough.

--
SteveH

From: Craig Sutton on

"Skybuck" <skybuck2000(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> For me this is becoming a drag... I have fixed this pc so many times
> it's starting to bum-me-out.
>
> Feels like I am fixing a formula 1 car or dragracing car all the
> time ! LOL I am kinda fed up with it ! ;)

You still don't get it?

The problem is YOU messing with it you don't have a CLUE! I bought my
similar setup to yours at around the same time and havn't had single
problem.

Same ram,same m.b, same hd's