From: "nobody >" on
Zootal wrote:

> Mother boards and related equipment have environmental ratings that tell you
> the maximum humidity and temperature they will tolerate. Exceed that and you
> run the risk of condensation and corrosion. Condensation on high frequency
> high impedance circuits can bring your computer down right now, blammo, and
> stay down until it dries. Just putting a finger across some of these traces
> will crash your computer.

You must be dealing with some awfully crappy motherboards with totally
bare traces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

From: Zootal on

"nobody >" <usenetharvested(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> Zootal wrote:
>

>> Mother boards and related equipment have environmental ratings that tell
>> you the maximum humidity and temperature they will tolerate. Exceed that
>> and you run the risk of condensation and corrosion. Condensation on high
>> frequency high impedance circuits can bring your computer down right now,
>> blammo, and stay down until it dries. Just putting a finger across some
>> of these traces will crash your computer.
>
> You must be dealing with some awfully crappy motherboards with totally
> bare traces.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

Out there in the real world, it happens. Not every piece of electronic
equipment is a nice neat color coordinated motherboard with pretty traces
and an aesthetically pleasing design, not to mention your "conformal
coating".

From: "nobody >" on
Zootal wrote:
> "nobody >" <usenetharvested(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> Zootal wrote:
>>
>>> Mother boards and related equipment have environmental ratings that tell
>>> you the maximum humidity and temperature they will tolerate. Exceed that
>>> and you run the risk of condensation and corrosion. Condensation on high
>>> frequency high impedance circuits can bring your computer down right now,
>>> blammo, and stay down until it dries. Just putting a finger across some
>>> of these traces will crash your computer.
>> You must be dealing with some awfully crappy motherboards with totally
>> bare traces.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
>>

> Out there in the real world, it happens. Not every piece of electronic
> equipment is a nice neat color coordinated motherboard with pretty traces
> and an aesthetically pleasing design, not to mention your "conformal
> coating".

Sorry,Zootal... I've been dealing with "real world" printed circuit
boards a long time. I might even venture that I was possibly repairing
them before you were born.

I've repaired marine electronics from sunken boats, portable two-way
radios found in sewers, pagers that went swimming in toilets, dispatch
consoles that have had the "Pepsi Treatment" (lattes and mochas are
worse..but "PT" is the generic term), and radio base stations doused in
rat pee for years.

I know what can happens from "exposure".

Yes, early PC mobos were "bare-assed traces", but any reasonable mobo
made in the last 10-15 years has some form of coating. Your "finger
touch" doesn't fly.
From: david on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:14:33 -0800, nobody > rearranged some electrons to
say:

> Zootal wrote:
>> "nobody >" <usenetharvested(a)aol.com> wrote in message

>>> You must be dealing with some awfully crappy motherboards with totally
>>> bare traces.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
>>>

>> Out there in the real world, it happens. Not every piece of electronic
>> equipment is a nice neat color coordinated motherboard with pretty
>> traces and an aesthetically pleasing design, not to mention your
>> "conformal coating".
>>

> Sorry,Zootal... I've been dealing with "real world" printed circuit
> boards a long time. I might even venture that I was possibly repairing
> them before you were born.
>
> I've repaired marine electronics from sunken boats, portable two-way
> radios found in sewers, pagers that went swimming in toilets, dispatch
> consoles that have had the "Pepsi Treatment" (lattes and mochas are
> worse..but "PT" is the generic term), and radio base stations doused in
> rat pee for years.
>
> I know what can happens from "exposure".
>
> Yes, early PC mobos were "bare-assed traces", but any reasonable mobo
> made in the last 10-15 years has some form of coating. Your "finger
> touch" doesn't fly.

Soldermask is not a conformal coating.
From: GMAN on
In article <ea080$4aeff753$d53372a9$17713(a)cache4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, "Skybuck Flying" <BloodyShame(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> "Norman Peelman" <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> But then one needs to wait... which is "down time"... and might be
>>> unneccessary ?
>>> (Also cleaning it dry takes more time and toiletpaper ! ;))
>>>
>>> The real question is:
>>>
>>> What happens if it's slightly wet/moisturish ;)
>>>
>>> Anybody know ? ;) :) =D
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck ;) =D
>>>

>> What happens if you just run the system without the dust filter on until
>> it dries? Would it be so bad? Oh wait, why not get extra dust filters so
>> you can rotate them out for cleaning...
>
>I thought about the idea of extra dust filters... might be a nice idea for
>antec in the future ! Why didn't they think of it ! ;) :)

Antec sells them as replacements. Go to their online store.