From: Mike Williams on
"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> But then there is also my favorite, which is a lousy *First*
> language for someone totally new, but may be an option
> for someone with the nerve to take on Assembly. <g>

Assembly was once my favourite as well. Times have changed now of course and
hardware and operating systems are much more complex than they were, but
when I first started programming I found that machine code, initially
without the help of an Assembler and later with one, was just about the
simplest thing to deal with. I liked it on the grounds that it was very fast
and that once you had learned the basic machine code instruction set you
needed knowledge only of the operating system I/O functions and of the
addresses and functions of the various video and audio and other hardware
registers (there were far fewer of them of course in those days!). As far as
the actual coding was concerned you lived mostly by your own rules, and were
not required to either remember or to follow somebody else's. I actually
started with BASIC simply because a copy of it was built into the operating
system and I soon realised that (at least in those days of extremely slow
interpreted BASIC) it simply was not fast enough to do very much in real
time and so I bought a book on Assembly and I loved it. In fact one of the
very first really useful things I wrote in BASIC was a simple 6502
Assembler, which worked very well and which made it very much easier for me
to write my code. I was actually an engineer by trade, not a programmer, and
electronics was my only real hobby at the time, so I never paid as much
attention to my programming side-hobby as I perhaps should have done, but if
I had been a programmer by trade at the time I'm sure I would have stuck
with Assembler. In the end I let it go and concentrated almost totally on my
main hobby in electronics. It was many years later that I went back to
programming as a hobby. Too late for me now of course to move into Assembler
again, operating systems and hardware are vastly more complex than they were
and I am far too long in the tooth to begin learning their intricacies, so
Assembler is out for me and I'll stick to my favourite VB6 until it finally
gets ground into the dusts of time, by which time I will almost certainly be
in there with it ;-)

Mike

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on
Hmm

I never looked at it from that perspective but..... i guess you might be
right so you might also include the vb classic group then

;-)

Are you now done roisterer? , you know exactly what i mean

From: Mike Williams on

> Hmm I never looked at it from that perspective but..... i guess you might
> be right so you might also include
> the vb classic group then

Please elucidate.

> Are you now done roisterer? , you know exactly
> what i mean

I'm afraid I don't know exactly what you mean, Michelle. I know what
roisterer means of course, and it applies most aptly to your own behaviour
when you swaggered about telling the people on the newgsroup the uproarious
lie that you are /one of the few people/ who can actually code in VB6 and in
VB.Net. However your qualifying phrase, "you know exactly what I mean",
would seem to indicate that you actually mean something other than the
standard dictionary definition. So, once again Michelle, please elucidate.

Mike

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote

> Assembly was once my favourite as well. Times have changed now of course
<....>
> once you had learned the basic machine code instruction set you
> needed knowledge only of the operating system I/O functions and of the
> addresses and functions of the various video and audio and other hardware
> registers
<...>
> In fact one of the very first really useful things I wrote in BASIC was a
> simple 6502 Assembler

I take it you owned a Commodore then?

It was all much easier to comprehend and understand when the OS, DOS,
your program and any language interpreter all had to reside within a 64K
memory limit!

An assembler and comprehensive memory map were the tools of the trade....

(eg: http://www.atariarchives.org/mapping/memorymap.php)

<g>
LFS

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

| > Hmm I never looked at it from that perspective but..... i guess you
might
| > be right so you might also include
| > the vb classic group then
|
| Please elucidate.

You can't use big words with the .Nxtheads. They've been dumbed down to the
point where you'll have to start using little words. Don't forget to
including the dots so intellisense can guide them. <g>