From: Searcher7 on
On Feb 2, 12:17 pm, dgk <d...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:54:56 -0600, dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
> >Searcher7wrote:
>
> >> To clarify my meaning, when I said simple apps I meant will it be just
> >> as easy to grasp Assembly and write a specific app as it was to grasp
> >> Assembly and write the same app years ago when Assembly was popular?
>
> >Depends...what processor?  I modern processor isn't anything at all like
> >a 6809, 6502 or Z80 and if you're talking about writing for a recent OS
> >interacting nicely w/ it isn't the same, either.
>
> Not to mention targeting a single processor in a dual/quad/etc system.

Hmmm. Ok, let me describe the project that inspired me to all this.
(Perhaps I can learn enough to get it done one day).

I would like to create an app that will allow "simple" edits on full
screen video on the fly. Sequential edits initiated via the key board
so a GUI would not be needed while it is running.

Since video constitutes stationary images shown one right after the
next, I want to be able to pick and choose individual images and chain
them together to run border-less from a large database of images and
also allow the edits, which would be no more complex than lighten and
darkening, to carry over from one frame to the next.

Since each image is slightly different than the next, I'll need to be
able to manipulate at the pixel level.

The resulting border-less videos will also sometimes overlap each
other and slowly change in size and position on screen.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
From: dpb on
Searcher7 wrote:

> Hmmm. Ok, let me describe the project that inspired me to all this.
> (Perhaps I can learn enough to get it done one day).

If you were serious in the comments re: assembler I think that day is a
long way in the future... :(

> I would like to create an app that will allow "simple" edits on full
> screen video on the fly. Sequential edits initiated via the key board
> so a GUI would not be needed while it is running.
>
> Since video constitutes stationary images shown one right after the
> next, I want to be able to pick and choose individual images and chain
> them together to run border-less from a large database of images and
> also allow the edits, which would be no more complex than lighten and
> darkening, to carry over from one frame to the next.
>
> Since each image is slightly different than the next, I'll need to be
> able to manipulate at the pixel level.
>
> The resulting border-less videos will also sometimes overlap each
> other and slowly change in size and position on screen.

This is hardly what I would term a "simple edit". I'm not a video
processing type but this ain't gonna' be a trivial app no matter what
it's written in and to attack it from the ground up as an assembly-coded
app is a non-starter to ever getting anything functional in any
reasonable amount of time.

I'd think there would already be app's that could do this in existence
in the open source community which would be where I'd think you ought to
start.

From: Schmidt on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[Video-Processing]
> This is hardly what I would term a "simple edit". I'm not a
> video processing type but this ain't gonna' be a trivial app
> no matter what it's written in and to attack it from the ground
> up as an assembly-coded app is a non-starter to ever
> getting anything functional in any reasonable amount of time.
Exactly - not to mention, that fast decompressing is done
nowadays over Codec-Interfaces (which on Windows are
DirectShow...COM-Interfaces) ... and the Video-output
needs to deal with Color-Spaces efficiently (usually the
faster Decoder-Outputs end up in YUV or UYVY/YUY2
Color-spaces when we talk about Video-Codecs) + the
then following high performant and high-quality Stretching
of such decoded Output-Buffers (+ additional Lightening/
Darkening) is then performt over DirectX or OpenGL directly
in the graphics-card hardware, meaning you nead another
"HighLevel"-API to address these devices over their
appropriate API-Interfaces on your platform of choice.

You will "go nuts", if you try all that in plain Assembler.

> I'd think there would already be app's that could do this
> in existence in the open source community which would
> be where I'd think you ought to start.
Yep - and the language of choice in most OpenSource-
Projects is C (close enough to Assembler IMO), directly
followed by C++.
Maybe looking at the Sources of VirtualDub (just google
for it), is a good start.

Olaf

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Ralph wrote :
> Mike Williams wrote:
>> "Michel Posseth [MCP]" <msdn(a)posseth.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> No , but i do believe i am one of the few VB6 coders who
>>> can code reall VB6 and reall VB.Net code and knows
>>> what both can and can`t .
>>
>> So there are only a very small number of people in the world who can
>> code in VB.Net and who have also coded in VB6, and you're one of
>> them? That's very clever of you. All those other less able people,
>> especially those less able people on the VB.Net group, must be very
>> gad you're there to lead them otherwise they would be wandering
>> around like headless chickens. They must be so proud of you.
>>

> I was a tad offended at first, but then I noticed he qualified his statement
> with "reall".
>
> I'm not sure I have ever written any reall VB6 or reall VB.Net code. so by
> my very uncertainity, he is probably correct.

That's what they do down in the bayou, right?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Searcher7 on
On Feb 2, 1:29 pm, dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
> Searcher7wrote:

> > Hmmm. Ok, let me describe the project that inspired me to all this.
> > (Perhaps I can learn enough to get it done one day).
>
> If you were serious in the comments re: assembler I think that day is a
> long way in the future... :(
>
> > I would like to create an app that will allow "simple" edits on full
> > screen video on the fly. Sequential edits initiated via the key board
> > so a GUI would not be needed while it is running.
>
> > Since video constitutes stationary images shown one right after the
> > next, I want to be able to pick and choose individual images and chain
> > them together to run border-less from a large database of images and
> > also allow the edits, which would be no more complex than lighten and
> > darkening, to carry over from one frame to the next.
>
> > Since each image is slightly different than the next, I'll need to be
> > able to manipulate at the pixel level.
>
> > The resulting border-less videos will also sometimes overlap each
> > other and slowly change in size and position on screen.

> This is hardly what I would term a "simple edit".  I'm not a video
> processing type but this ain't gonna' be a trivial app no matter what
> it's written in and to attack it from the ground up as an assembly-coded
> app is a non-starter to ever getting anything functional in any
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> I'd think there would already be app's that could do this in existence
> in the open source community which would be where I'd think you ought to
> start.
>
> --

And it seems so simple on the surface. :-)

Perhaps I should just write my own language. :-)

Anyway, this project,or the simple explanation of it is definitely not
for open source.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.