From: Searcher7 on
On Feb 2, 1:37 pm, "Schmidt" <s...(a)online.de> wrote:
> "dpb" <n...(a)non.net> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:hk9r00$qfh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>
> [Video-Processing]> This is hardly what I would term a "simple edit".  I'm not a
> > video processing type but this ain't gonna' be a trivial app
> > no matter what it's written in and to attack it from the ground
> > up as an assembly-coded app is a non-starter to ever
> > getting anything functional in any reasonable amount of time.
>
> Exactly - not to mention, that fast decompressing is done
> nowadays over Codec-Interfaces (which on Windows are
> DirectShow...COM-Interfaces) ... and the Video-output
> needs to deal with Color-Spaces efficiently (usually the
> faster Decoder-Outputs end up in YUV or UYVY/YUY2
> Color-spaces when we talk about Video-Codecs) + the
> then following high performant and high-quality Stretching
> of such decoded Output-Buffers (+ additional Lightening/
> Darkening) is then performt over DirectX or OpenGL directly
> in the graphics-card hardware, meaning you nead another
> "HighLevel"-API to address these devices over their
> appropriate API-Interfaces on your platform of choice.
>
> You will "go nuts", if you try all that in plain Assembler.
>
> > I'd think there would already be app's that could do this
> > in existence in the open source community which would
> > be where I'd think you ought to start.
>
> Yep - and the language of choice in most OpenSource-
> Projects is C (close enough to Assembler IMO), directly
> followed by C++.
> Maybe looking at the Sources of VirtualDub (just google
> for it), is a good start.
>
> Olaf

I'm trying to stay away from compression. And not concerning myself
with DirectX or OpenGL. These "modern" technologies didn't always
exist and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
From: Mike Williams on
"Searcher7" <Searcher7(a)mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to stay away from compression. And not concerning
> myself with DirectX or OpenGL. These "modern" technologies
> didn't always exist and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

What's your real name Darren?

Mike

From: Andrew Morton on
Searcher7 wrote:
> I would like to create an app that will allow "simple" edits on full
> screen video on the fly. Sequential edits initiated via the key board
> so a GUI would not be needed while it is running.

It sounds like you'll want something like
"VideoCog .NET Control: Add digital video to any .NET application instantly.
The VideoCog control is a Windows Forms control that simplifies digital
video processing for the developer."
http://www.cogitance.com/videocog-overview.htm

Although a quick look didn't reveal the price to me. You could google for
"vb.net video processing" for others.

--
Andrew

From: Schmidt on

"Searcher7" <Searcher7(a)mail.con2.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I'm trying to stay away from compression. And not
> concerning myself with DirectX or OpenGL.
> These "modern" technologies didn't always
> exist and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.
Without any compression you are limited with
your available input-sources, since there's probably
no "video-stream-file" out there nowadays which
contains "uncompressed RawData".

And there's also lesser performance, if you work
without compression - although that seems a bit
contradictory at the first sight.
But reading/writing uncompressed RawData
(for 640x480 pixel resolution this means 20-30
MB per second) from/to disk is often slower than
the combination of a fast (only CPU-bound)
codec and the reduced disk-IO.

But your choice of course - I've already given my
recommendation for "plain C" (if you really want
to work near to the hardware) - and most C-
Compilers support also some sort of Inline-Assembler,
in case you're badly in need for tuned routines, which
bypass the already very good optimization-tricks of the
modern C-Compilers.

Olaf

From: Mike Williams on
"Andrew Morton" <akm(a)in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> It sounds like you'll want something like
> "VideoCog .NET Control: Add digital video to any .NET application

It sounds like you need to take your friend Darren, or whatever his real
name is, and go play with him somewhere else - perhaps at your next dotnet
evangelist meeting where you can sing your dotnet songs and have your wet
dreams about Micro$oft in a more suitable atmosphere.

Mike