From: Searcher7 on
I picked up a book to learn Visual basic but cannot install it on my
system after I download it from this site: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/.

I'm assuming my pc is the problem, but have no idea where to start.

It seems to stat installing, but then I get a pop-up that says:
"Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU has
encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
From: MikeD on

"Searcher7" <Searcher7(a)mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I picked up a book to learn Visual basic but cannot install it on my
> system after I download it from this site:
> http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/.
>
> I'm assuming my pc is the problem, but have no idea where to start.
>
> It seems to stat installing, but then I get a pop-up that says:
> "Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU has
> encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly."
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Ralph told you the proper newsgroup to post to, but gave no explanation as
to why...and people posting for the first time (making an assumption) should
know why.

This newsgroup is for VB6 and under. There are significant differences
between VB6 and all later versions of what MS calls VB. Thus, there are
different newsgroups for each. The newsgroups for all versions AFTER VB6
have either "dotnet" or "vsnet" in their name. To confuse matters, MS
dropped the ".NET" from the product name. But it's still .NET and therefore
questions regarding it should be posted to a dotnet newsgroup.

--
Mike

From: Laurie on
Hi Mike,

Your last paragraph should have been left off. My reading of the title
this NG is that it is a VB NET newsgroup.

Regards,

Laurie

From: Laurie on
Hi,

Hmmmm

This message is multi-posted. Makes everything even more confusing than
need be.

Regards,

Laurie

From: Mike Williams on
"Laurie" <laurie(a)I_hate_spam.com.au> wrote in message

> Your [Mike D's] last paragraph should have been left off.
> My reading of the title this NG is that it is a VB NET
> newsgroup.

The OP cross posted to two groups, one of which (the dotnet.languages.vb
one) is the correct group for the product he is using and the other of which
is not. The OP needs to know that he should not have posted to the Classic
VB group regardless of whether or not his post was also cross posted to the
correct group.

To the OP: The comp.lang.basic.visual.misc group is the real Visual Basic
newsgroup and the last and final version of Visual Basic is VB6. The product
you are using, which is misleadingly called Visual Basic 2008 Express, is
NOT real Visual Basic. It is a variant of what is commonly called VB.Net and
your questions regarding it should NOT be either posted or cross posted to
the real Visual Basic group.

Generally, apart from a few very simple exceptions, VB6 code does not work
in VB.Net and VB.Net code does not work in VB6, and neither of them will
compile or run in the IDE of the other. They are as different as chalk and
cheese.

Unfortunately, in order to deliberately confuse the punters and to
dishonestly maximize profits, Micro$oft sprinkled their new and otherwise
completely different product with some Basic sounding constructs and gave it
a Basic sounding name and they pretended that it is the next version of
Visual Basic when in fact it is not. The name they have given to their new
product, the one you are using, is a deliberate lie. Micro$oft are lying
about it in much the same way that a food manufacturer would be lying if he
stuck "Cup a Soup" labels on packets of long grain rice, nothwithstanding
the fact that he might be the registered owner of the name "Cup a Soup". A
food manufacturer of course would be prosecuted in the courts of law for
such a deliberately dishonest act, but consumer law in most countries is
still decades behind the times and has not yet got its act together in
respect of software, although the EU is rapidly working towards it (which is
why Micro$oft hates us over here).

Your erroneous posting is not your fault of course because you have been
misled by Micro$oft and in the circumstances it is not surprising that you
have been taken in by Micro$oft's subterfuge and have cross posted to the
wrong group. Micro$oft would never openly acknowledge their dishonesty of
course, but they have tacitly admitted to it by creating a new and
completely different newsgroup on their own public servers for their new and
completely different product. To summarise, one of the groups you have
posted to, as mentioned above, is for the real Visual Basic and you should
not post or cross post any of your VB.Net questions to that group. If you
have questions about the imposter then you should post them to the
imposter's own newsgroup at:

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Mike