From: Neil Ellwood on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:52:31 -0800, RichA wrote:

> Talk about crushing the price barrier in the medium format!!
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10031002pentax645d.asp

So it isn't really a 645 but just a cropped sensor.

--
neil
Reverse 'r' + 'a' and remove 'l'.
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 01:01:57 -0500, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> Talk about crushing the price barrier in the medium format!!
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10031002pentax645d.asp
>>

>But is a crop camera 44 x 33 mm vs 56 x 42 mm of full 645 format. Not a
>huge increase over 36x24mm for the price and what you lose on wide angle
>$$$ MF glass etc.

The sensor is a 1.3X crop from 645 film.

Wide angles are a problem. The standard lens for this format is the
new SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8. Shorter focal length lenses will
be disproportionately expensive, as they always have been in medium
format. After all, a 50mm is the most popular wide angle lens for
that format (and the cheapest) but it would be pointless on a 645D.

The Pentax 645D is up against strong competition from the Hasselblad
H4D-40 which uses the same Kodak sensor. The H Series has a well
established and mostly satisfied user base, but the H4D-40 costs
$19,995 against the $9400 Japanese market price for the Pentax.

For the Pentax 645D to succeed, it will have to stay competitively
priced against the Hasselblad. $9995 would be a good start.

Both these cameras will wipe the floor with the Leica S2. The Leica
offers 37.5 MP on a slightly smaller 30 x 45mm Kodak sensor and is
already struggling to establish itself in the market, largely due to
its exceptionally high price of $22,995. Ouch! There is also the
problem of the 3:2 aspect ratio which is not popular in its target
market.

I predict that the Leica will fail, because sales to Leica diehards
will be nowhere near sufficient to make the S2 line profitable.

From: MikeWhy on
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <hn7ckt$g4d$1(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...
>
>> But is a crop camera 44 x 33 mm vs 56 x 42 mm of full 645 format. Not a
>> huge increase over 36x24mm for the price and what you lose on wide angle
>> $$$ MF glass etc.
>
> 68% more area, that is a significant increase. It's also nice to have
> 40MP resolution - no DSLR comes close.
>
> But what turns me off is the weight - 1480g body only, with a lens it
> will be > 2Kg. Not to mention that huge&heavy mirror slapping around.
>
> Why can't a make such a large sensor camera *without* the mirror? The
> body would be much more compact and lightweight. At 2Kg it's not really
> suited as a camera to carry around with you.

Think how much fun these discussions will be when "crop" 4x5 scanning backs
break the $10k mark. Big versus tiny is relative. For many of us, 35mm is
hardly anywhere near "big". For that matter, 645 is tiny compared to even
6x9, let alone 4x5. No mirror box or complicated focal plane shutter in that
hawse. 5 lbs is a lightweight. ;)

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:30:27 +0100, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <hn7ckt$g4d$1(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...
>
>> But is a crop camera 44 x 33 mm vs 56 x 42 mm of full 645 format. Not a
>> huge increase over 36x24mm for the price and what you lose on wide angle
>> $$$ MF glass etc.
>
>68% more area, that is a significant increase. It's also nice to have
>40MP resolution - no DSLR comes close.

Eh? Hasselblad DSLRs have 40 MP or even greater resolution. For
example, the Hasselblad H4D is available with 40, 50 or 60 MP sensors.

From: John A. on
On 10 Mar 2010 06:00:41 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>Talk about crushing the price barrier in the medium format!!
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10031002pentax645d.asp
>
>And I expect that you'll be buying one quite soon since you obviously
>don't want to be using some cheap 35mm format SLR with limited
>resolution and image quality.

Well, it is metal.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12