From: stephe_k on
MikeWhy wrote:
> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <hn93o5$v2c$2(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...
>>> B: Is the MF glass resolving enough to do anything if it does resolve as
>>> highly. i.e. are you actually gaining anything.
>>
>> You mean MF glass is unable to resolve 40MP?
>
> 6 micron pixel pitch is 167 lines/mm.

Which very few if any MF lenses can resolve.

Stephanie
From: stephe_k on
Bowser wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:42:19 -0500, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> In article <hn7ckt$g4d$1(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...

>>> 68% more area, that is a significant increase. It's also nice to have
>>> 40MP resolution - no DSLR comes close.
>> A: Is is equal resolution to what a good full frame DSRL has now?
>>
>> B: Is the MF glass resolving enough to do anything if it does resolve as
>> highly. i.e. are you actually gaining anything.
>
> I've seen these questions before, but back in the "film" days. Testers
> would *prove* that MF glass has lower resolving power than 35mm glass,
> but when comparing images from my hassy 500 C/M to those from my
> Nikon, there was NO comparison. So will the reality that meant "more
> film means higher quality images" hold true for larger sensors,
> despite that the glass may, theoritically, be capable of less
> resolution? I'm guessing yes, but I'll wait and see. Anyway, I'm sure
> that anyone with a Pentax MF system loves this news. The 645 N II I
> had (for a short time) was a stellar machine and maybe the best
> handling camera I've ever owned.

My point was that pixel pitch below a certain level with most MF glass
is pointless other than for marketing reasons. And is likely to have a
threshold different from what could be useful with 35mm based Dslrs.
It's sorta like thinking how using techpan might be useful with 35mm
film camera with really good glass, it's overkill for a 120 film camera
and no way could you ever use the resolution the film is capable of with
MF lenses.

I agree with your film based IQ assessment and still shoot MF film yet
would never bother shooting 35mm film for the reasons you stated. It's
also why I made the comment about this being a crop camera and isn't
taking advantage of the full format. And how the MP count they used was
likely done for marketing reasons, the "Holy S--- it's got 40MP" reaction.

Stephanie
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <1ed4a$4b993f37$546accd9$14263(a)cache90.multikabel.net>,
spamtrap(a)arumes.com says...
> Who are 'they'? Pentax or Kodak? Why do you consider degraded image
> quality to be an improvement?

I don't think they need to degrade image quality to provide live view.
There are so many high end DSLRs around with live view.
--

Alfred Molon
stephe_k(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> MikeWhy wrote:
>> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> In article <hn93o5$v2c$2(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...
>>>
>>> You mean MF glass is unable to resolve 40MP?
>>
>> 6 micron pixel pitch is 167 lines/mm.
>
> Which very few if any MF lenses can resolve.

If you want to get the most out of a lens' resolution, 3 pixels per
detail is pretty good.
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <hncj41$r2f$2(a)news.albasani.net>, stephe_k(a)yahoo.com says...

> Yet most MF glass doesn't resolve as high as good 35MM glass. MF glass
> might easily resolve 40MP but probably not on this size sensor..

"Resolve" does not mean much. You probably mean that the MTF will be
lower. Perhaps there is a way to create new MF lenses with higher
resolution.
--

Alfred Molon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last