From: Family Tree Mike on
ptpwjp wrote:
>> The newsgroups you have listed are mutually exclusive. Do you want a VB
>> 6 recommendation, or a vb.net recommendation? The vb.general.discussion
>> group would be for a VB 6 question while the dotnet.languages.vb group
>> would be for .Net.
> Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
>

>> After deciding your platform, you need to clarify how this would work. Do
>> you want a user in your code to initiate a copy of the selected data
>> somehow?
> I want to transform text selected by user ,
> (only if he will want to -only if he push bottom at my application),
> and write new version of text to file.

You are going to call:
SendMessage(hwndChild, Win32.User.EM_GETSELTEXT, 0, builder)

builder is a stringbuilder object to receive the text. hwndChild is the
hwnd to the control to copy the text. Look at
http://www.pinvoke.net/default.aspx/coredll/SendMessage.html to see how
you declare and call this windows function.

You would need to find the hwndChild by first identifying the main
window of the external process. The System.Diagnostic.Process class
will help you find the main window handle to all other processes. You
could copy any text from all of the processes, or you could identify the
process somehow and use the SendMessage function with that hwnd.

BTW, I've dropped the vb6 group from this reply.

--
Mike
From: ptpwjp on

>> Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
>
> Please repost your question in new thread, or remove
> microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion from your reply.
Why?

From: ptpwjp on
Thank you very much,

> You would need to find the hwndChild by first identifying the main window
> of the external process. The System.Diagnostic.Process class will help
> you find the main window handle to all other processes. You could copy
> any text from all of the processes, or you could identify the process
> somehow and use the SendMessage function with that hwnd.
but , which of a lot of process is the last process?
I send ALT + TAB from my application, to be in last process,
but in this situation my application lost processor, and don't do next
instruction :).

From: mayayana on
> >> Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
> >
> > Please repost your question in new thread, or remove
> > microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion from your reply.

> Why?

Because you posted your question in two groups
that are for completely different things. VB.Net
is covered by microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.
The other group is for regular VB. (VB6 and lower.)

You're using VB.Net.

The two VBs have very little in common. It's
confusing because they're both often just called "VB",
but the answer to your question would be different in
each.
It's made even more confusing because Microsoft
has created a hodge podge of different names and
versions. VB.Net has a lot of names:
VB7. 8, 9. VB 1, 1.1, 2, 3, 3.5. VB 2003, 2005, 2008.
Those are different versioning systems based on
whether one is referring to the language, the framework
version, or the Visual Studio version. But they're all
VB.Net!

Regular VB (mostly VB 5/6) is a product that produces
compiled software and is COM-centric. VB.Net is Java-like,
producing JIT-compiled "assemblies", using the
..Net Framework, which is similar to the Java VM.

So the only thing shared by the two VBs, besides the
name, is a vague similarity in the appearance of their
code.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"ptpwjp" <ptpwjp(a)op.pl> wrote in message news:hci49n$9re$1(a)news.onet.pl...

> >> Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
> >
> > Please repost your question in new thread, or remove
> > microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion from your reply.

> Why?

Because you have targeted two distinctly different languages. Specific
answers for one language generally do not apply to the other.

This dotnet group is the more apropreate place for your question. Now
that you know where to ask your .Net questions, you do not need to include
the general discussion group which discusses VB6 and prior versions.

Starting a new thread would allow you to remove the un-needed group....