From: kenseto on
On Aug 10, 10:41 am, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/10/10 9:04 AM, kenseto wrote:

> >>     Wrong--From the perspective of any muon, its mean lifetime is 2.2 µs.
> >>     Seto FAILS to understand relativity.
>
> > No idiot....the cosmic muon clock second has longer duration the the
> > lab clock second. Therefore SR and IRT predicts that from the cosmic
> > muon point of view the lab muon has a lifetime of 2.2us(cosmic muon
> > time)/gamma.
>
> > Ken Seto
>
>    Cosmic muons FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE GROUND OBSERVER do
>    exhibit time dilation predicted by special relativity. However,
>    from the PERSPECTIVE OF THE MUON, there is no time dilation and
>    the muon has a mean lifetime is 2.2 µs.

No idiot...the cosmic muon predicts that the lab muon decays at 2.2us/
gamma....this means that the lab muon has a shorter life time than the
cosmic muon and that's why the lab muon can only travel a very short
distance before decaying.

Ken Seto

From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/10/10 10:50 AM, kenseto wrote:
> On Aug 10, 10:41 am, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No idiot....the cosmic muon clock second has longer duration the the
>>> lab clock second. Therefore SR and IRT predicts that from the cosmic
>>> muon point of view the lab muon has a lifetime of 2.2us(cosmic muon
>>> time)/gamma.
>>
>>> Ken Seto
>>
>> Cosmic muons FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE GROUND OBSERVER do
>> exhibit time dilation predicted by special relativity. However,
>> from the PERSPECTIVE OF THE MUON, there is no time dilation and
>> the muon has a mean lifetime is 2.2 �s.
>
> No idiot...the cosmic muon predicts that the lab muon decays at 2.2us/
> gamma....this means that the lab muon has a shorter life time than the
> cosmic muon and that's why the lab muon can only travel a very short
> distance before decaying.

No Seto, you FAIL to understand relativity. Hopelessly lost in the
abyss of ignorance.

From: Daryl McCullough on
Gc says...

>On 10 elo, 15:17, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:

>> There is a subtle distinction between curvature and topology.
>> If you take a sheet of paper, and connect one edge to the opposite
>> edge, you get a cylinder. An ant traveling on the surface of the
>> sheet won't notice any curvature, but it will notice that going
>> far enough in one direction will return it to where it started.
>
>I promised not to post for a while, but I don`t get what you are
>saying. Of course, the ant could notice curvature, isn`t that the
>point when we say that a curvature is an instrinsic property.

Yes, curvature in the sense of the curvature tensor is intrinsic,
and for a cylinder, this curvature is *zero*. The cylinder is not
curved, intrinsically. It is curved in the sense of topology
(the technical term is that a cylinder is not "simply connected").

Contrast the case of a cylinder with the case of a sphere.
The surface of a sphere *is* curved, and this manifests itself
in geometry: If you draw a triangle on the surface of a sphere,
and measure the angles, they will add up to greater than 180
degrees. For a flat 2D surface, the angles of a triangle add up
to 180 degrees.

By this criterion, a cylinder is *not* curved. Triangles drawn
on the surface of a cylinder will have angles that add up to
exactly 180.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Gc says...

>What if the ant draws a really big triangle on the paper (with respect
>to ant`s size) and measures the sum of it`s angles?

Its always 180 for a cylinder. The distinction between a cylinder
and the surface of a sphere is this: You can cut a cylinder into
a finite number of pieces, and each piece can be laid flat. In
contrast, if you cut a sphere into pieces, the pieces will not
be flat. You can't press them onto a flat surface without stretching
or compressing.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Gc on
On 10 elo, 19:15, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> Gc says...
>

> >On 10 elo, 15:17, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> >> There is a subtle distinction between curvature and topology.
> >> If you take a sheet of paper, and connect one edge to the opposite
> >> edge, you get a cylinder. An ant traveling on the surface of the
> >> sheet won't notice any curvature, but it will notice that going
> >> far enough in one direction will return it to where it started.
>
> >I promised not to post for a while, but I don`t get what you are
> >saying. Of course, the ant could notice curvature, isn`t that the
> >point when we say that a curvature is an instrinsic property.
>
> Yes, curvature in the sense of the curvature tensor is intrinsic,
> and for a cylinder, this curvature is *zero*. The cylinder is not
> curved, intrinsically. It is curved in the sense of topology
> (the technical term is that a cylinder is not "simply connected").
>
> Contrast the case of a cylinder with the case of a sphere.
> The surface of a sphere *is* curved, and this manifests itself
> in geometry: If you draw a triangle on the surface of a sphere,
> and measure the angles, they will add up to greater than 180
> degrees. For a flat 2D surface, the angles of a triangle add up
> to 180 degrees.
>
> By this criterion, a cylinder is *not* curved. Triangles drawn
> on the surface of a cylinder will have angles that add up to
> exactly 180.

OK. Intresting.