From: Floyd L. Davidson on
ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:20:26 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
>> ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>>I've found dcraw to be quick for my situation - it's free.
>>
>> Dcraw is wonderful for what it is, but its user interface is not meant
>> for general purpose conversions. A photographer needs an interface that
>> allows previewing results in order to select appropriate options for
>> best results.
>
>I use ufraw for that - but it's not what the OP asked about.

Then your interpretation of what he asked is different
than mine.

Mine is that until he defines "default", it might mean a
number of things. One definition would be that it
defaults to the in camera JPEG settings... and dcraw
does not do that at all (nor does UFRAW). In that case
though, dcraw (and not UFRAW) could be used to simply
extract the embedded JPEG images from the RAW file, but
what that produces depends on which brand of camera and
on how the camera is configured.

I'm assuming the user wants to define the default
settings, rather than assuming (the absurd notion) that
dcraw has defaults that are somehow "correct".

Generating a user defined default requires UFRAW.

>> In fact though, I cheat. I use Linux and have a script that determines
>> how many CPU's the system has and then feeds a loop that keeps all of
>> the CPU's busy. One box that I use has 4 CPU's, and another has 8. The
>> script works them to the max. The 4 CPU box processes images at 6
>> seconds per image. (If ufraw-batch is invoked normally, and uses just 1
>> CPU serially, it takes 21 seconds per image on that particular system.)
>
>Mine, Ubuntu on single cpu 2.4ghz P4, does my kdc images in five seconds
>using ufraw. It will also depend on the camera's resolution - as that
>determines how much data must be processed and on the particular raw
>format as some are a little more complex than others.

The time values are not useful for across the board
comparison. There are other differences too. Disk i/o
speed over a network for example, the image format of
the output file, the type of compression and the bit
depth of the RAW file, are all significant and will vary
from one set of hardware to another.

With a different camera using 12-bit uncompressed files,
but at lower resolution and generating JPEG rather that
TIFF formatted output files, the single CPU time is 1.9
seconds per image, and the multi-CPU time is 0.7 seconds
per image.

My original point was to show one possible way to
optimize batch processing to get the most out of
available hardware, which essentially indicates that
just asking how long it takes to accomplish a conversion
does not produce answers that are useful.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <87a8pfFcokU6(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I've found dcraw to be quick for my situation - it's free.
>
>dcraw is one of the slowest raw converters.

tanana:floyd /u10/p5/2006/jan31a 0>time dcraw -h dsc_7022.nef
real 0m0.131s

You should actually try it before claiming to know
something about how it works.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:40:40 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
>> ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>>Mine, Ubuntu on single cpu 2.4ghz P4, does my kdc images in five seconds
>>>using ufraw. It will also depend on the camera's resolution - as that
>>>determines how much data must be processed and on the particular raw
>>>format as some are a little more complex than others.
>>
>> The time values are not useful for across the board comparison. There
>> are other differences too. Disk i/o speed over a network for example,
>> the image format of the output file, the type of compression and the bit
>> depth of the RAW file, are all significant and will vary from one set of
>> hardware to another.
>
>Damn - I could have sworn I just said that!

Except you didn't.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: nospam on
In article <87k4q7d7ib.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> >> I've found dcraw to be quick for my situation - it's free.
> >
> >dcraw is one of the slowest raw converters.
>
> tanana:floyd /u10/p5/2006/jan31a 0>time dcraw -h dsc_7022.nef
> real 0m0.131s

> You should actually try it before claiming to know
> something about how it works.

i've compared both and dcraw is a lot slower than camera raw on the
same hardware.
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>Ah - I see you have a little reading comprehension problem - that's OK.

You'll have to try harder than that Ray. (Lot's harder... :-)

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com