From: nospam on
In article <87ocfe6osp.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> Plus Adobe used Coffin's /dcraw/ in the development of
> their own converter, though because Adobe is proprietary
> we don't know to what degree or exactly in what way
> even.

very little. the raw conversion is completely different.

about all that adobe used from dcraw was some decoding of maker notes.
big deal.
From: LOL! on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 04:47:19 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <87eiga94cb.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
><floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>
>> And why do you supposed after all these years there is
>> no alternative? Could it just happen to be that dcraw
>> is such a killer implementation that nobody wants to
>> waste their time writing a "replacement" that will never
>> be more than an obscure "almost an alternative"?
>
>because anyone skilled enough to do it can get paid quite well for it,
>rather than wasting their time on something that is given away. that's
>why the state of the art converters are commercial products, such as
>camera raw, capture one, dxo, etc.

"State of the art"?!?

LOL!

http://www.rawtherapee.com/RAW_Compare/

All the ones you mentioned fail when compared to freeware and donation-ware
software.

LOL!!!!!!

Keep on trolling you pretend-photographer fool!

LOL!

From: nospam on
In article <2010061407245343658-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> It is also worth noting, that Adobe has a completely new process for
> ACR 6.1 delivered with CS5 and LR3. The first substantial change to
> their ACR process since 2003.

good point. that's a huge step forward, especially in noise reduction.

you'll never see something like that in dcraw.
From: Peter on
"Floyd L. Davidson" <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote in message

> Do you even know what /dcraw/ is?

I DO!

Arguments like you and Ray are having in this thread, sticks in decraw.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <2010061407245343658-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> It is also worth noting, that Adobe has a completely new process for
>> ACR 6.1 delivered with CS5 and LR3. The first substantial change to
>> their ACR process since 2003.
>
> good point. that's a huge step forward, especially in noise reduction.

I haven't played with NR or sharpening in ACR 6.1. In the past I have been
doing all NR and sharpening in PS.

Is there a significant advantage to doing it in ACR?

--
Peter