From: Ray Fischer on
Floyd L. Davidson <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>Floyd L. Davidson <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

>>>If the program was that crappy there would be half a
>>>dozen alternative programs available within a few
>>>months. Yet for years now nobody has bothered.
>>
>>Except for Adobe's RAW converter, and Apple's, and Canon's, and
>>Nikon's, and all the other graphics programs.
>>
>>> Not
>>>only that, but efforts such as UFRAW, which could easily
>>
>>You're an idiot.
>
>Your exception list doesn't include a single program
>that duplicates what Jon and I agree is the purpose of
>/dcraw/ as a program.

Boo

hoo.

You're an idiot.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Peter on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <4c16c941$0$5496$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm using PS 5, now. Formerly I used PS 7, then CS3.
>
> do you mean photoshop elements? photoshop 5 came out in 1998 and
> predates camera raw by a few years. or do you mean photoshop cs5, which
> supports camera raw 6? photoshop 7 came out in 2002 and photoshop
> elements 7 was in 2008, if i recall.

No. I meant CS5.

>> I have never found a
>> satisfactory NR technique, I saw too much color blurring. My workflow has
>> been to set ACR sharpening to 0 and then use either LAB color sharpening,
>> high pass filter sharpening, or some combination of both, depending on
>> the
>> image. I have a feel for what I am doing, but am willing to change if
>> there
>> is a good reason.
>
> i would suggest doing as much as possible in camera raw, especially
> since it's non-destructive. i never found the high pass sharpening
> method to be that useful, but some people like it.

It's good only for certain high contrast images. If I wanted to get details
of the feathers on a bird, it doesn't work well. I switch to smart sharpen
on the lightness channel in LAB color, so as not to get the halo effect

--
Peter

From: Peter on

> As Scott Kelby has noted the "Adobe Camera Raw" ACR 2003 process seemed to
> have had little to no effect when it came to noise or sharpening
> correction, and he recommended not wasting time with those adjustments.
> With ACR 6.1 and the 2010 process, noise reduction and sharpening works,
> and works well. Kelby now recommends it as part of the RAW conversion
> process when needed.

You guys have given me reason to try NR in ACR

> Also ACR 6.1 supports lens correction profiles so Distortion, CA, and
> vignette correction for a particular lens can be applied during
> conversion.

I have the sticky feeling that Capture NX2 does a better job of correcting
lens aberrations. I am not convinced that Nikon gives all specifications.

--
Peter

From: Peter on

>> > Vista alone uses 2GB, for example ... and the rest of the system needs
>> > RAM as well.
>>
>> Many users are more intelligent than that.
>
> those are the ones that stuck with xp or bought a mac :)

If I only used the machine for graphics and Internet BSing, I would probably
have a Mac. But, I also need a machine for business. From a usability
standpoint I have compared my HP with a Mac. At least for Photoshop I see no
significant difference. Though on a Mac I have right click issues.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-15 06:24:19 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> those are the ones that stuck with xp or bought a mac :)
>>

>> If I only used the machine for graphics and Internet BSing, I would
>> probably have a Mac. But, I also need a machine for business. From a
>> usability standpoint I have compared my HP with a Mac. At least for
>> Photoshop I see no significant difference. Though on a Mac I have right
>> click issues.
>

> Unless you have Windows specific SW at work there is no reason not to
> consider a switch to Mac at home (or work for that matter). Office is
> available for Mac and price difference for total package with any of the
> optional processors is negligible. If you price out Macs, HP, Dell, etc
> with similar specs and SW you will find very little price/value
> differential.
> The right click issues on a Mac have been a thing of the past for many
> years now, and are a relic of Mac naysayers past repertoire.
> Also with Intel Macs you have the option of running, in addition to OSX,
> any version of Windows so you can run any of that Windows specific SW.
>
> Having said that if you are happy with your HP you might as well stay that
> route. As a long time Mac user condemned to use Windows machines at work,
> I think you might be surprised at what the Mac and OSX brings to the
> table.

I will look next time. Meanwhile this machine does what I need and does it
well. I thought my laptop was fast until I got that machine.

--
Peter