From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Jon Smid <Varkensvoer(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson schreef:
>> And why do you supposed after all these years there is
>> no alternative? Could it just happen to be that dcraw
>> is such a killer implementation that nobody wants to
>> waste their time writing a "replacement" that will never
>> be more than an obscure "almost an alternative"?
>
>Probably assuming in vain that you really want an answer, yet trying :
>
>The *huge* value of dcraw is in the reverse engineering work that was
>put in deciphering all of those raw formats out there. This is a
>tremendous achievement. This is what it makes it practically impossible
>to come with an alternative. Nobody has a better understanding or track
>record in this respect.
>
>But nevertheless the result was put in a program that is crappy in
>software engineering terms.

If the program was that crappy there would be half a
dozen alternative programs available within a few
months. Yet for years now nobody has bothered. Not
only that, but efforts such as UFRAW, which could easily
merely lift that "tremendous achievement" in engineering
and write their own code to implement it, don't.
Instead the lift *the code*, modify it only enough to
meet their specific needs, and use it as is.

Your claim of "crappy" software engineering doesn't
wash.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Ray Fischer on
Floyd L. Davidson <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>Jon Smid <Varkensvoer(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Floyd L. Davidson schreef:
>>> And why do you supposed after all these years there is
>>> no alternative? Could it just happen to be that dcraw
>>> is such a killer implementation that nobody wants to
>>> waste their time writing a "replacement" that will never
>>> be more than an obscure "almost an alternative"?
>>
>>Probably assuming in vain that you really want an answer, yet trying :
>>
>>The *huge* value of dcraw is in the reverse engineering work that was
>>put in deciphering all of those raw formats out there. This is a
>>tremendous achievement. This is what it makes it practically impossible
>>to come with an alternative. Nobody has a better understanding or track
>>record in this respect.
>>
>>But nevertheless the result was put in a program that is crappy in
>>software engineering terms.
>
>If the program was that crappy there would be half a
>dozen alternative programs available within a few
>months. Yet for years now nobody has bothered.

Except for Adobe's RAW converter, and Apple's, and Canon's, and
Nikon's, and all the other graphics programs.

> Not
>only that, but efforts such as UFRAW, which could easily

You're an idiot.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Floyd L. Davidson on
rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>Floyd L. Davidson <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
>>Jon Smid <Varkensvoer(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Probably assuming in vain that you really want an answer, yet trying :
>>>
>>>The *huge* value of dcraw is in the reverse engineering work that was
>>>put in deciphering all of those raw formats out there. This is a
>>>tremendous achievement. This is what it makes it practically impossible
>>>to come with an alternative. Nobody has a better understanding or track
>>>record in this respect.
>>>
>>>But nevertheless the result was put in a program that is crappy in
>>>software engineering terms.
>>
>>If the program was that crappy there would be half a
>>dozen alternative programs available within a few
>>months. Yet for years now nobody has bothered.
>
>Except for Adobe's RAW converter, and Apple's, and Canon's, and
>Nikon's, and all the other graphics programs.
>
>> Not
>>only that, but efforts such as UFRAW, which could easily
>
>You're an idiot.

Your exception list doesn't include a single program
that duplicates what Jon and I agree is the purpose of
/dcraw/ as a program. Do you even know what /dcraw/ is?

Plus Adobe used Coffin's /dcraw/ in the development of
their own converter, though because Adobe is proprietary
we don't know to what degree or exactly in what way
even.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: nospam on
In article <87sk4r893a.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> The purpose is *portability*. The mechanism is ISO Standard C.

c++ is portable, a *far* better choice than c.

> Despite what you seem to think, threading is not portable.

there are portable threading solutions.
From: nospam on
In article <87eiga94cb.fld(a)apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson
<floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:

> And why do you supposed after all these years there is
> no alternative? Could it just happen to be that dcraw
> is such a killer implementation that nobody wants to
> waste their time writing a "replacement" that will never
> be more than an obscure "almost an alternative"?

because anyone skilled enough to do it can get paid quite well for it,
rather than wasting their time on something that is given away. that's
why the state of the art converters are commercial products, such as
camera raw, capture one, dxo, etc.