From: nospam on
In article <4c17f240$1$5527$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> there was no right button on the mouse,

yes there was. macs have shipped with multibutton mice for about five
years and before that you could replace it with whatever mouse you want
(and still can for that matter). plus, the second button is nowhere
near as critical as it is in other operating systems.

> However, as I said before, what I
> have is working for me.

that's what matters.
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>>>Which version do you use? UFRaw has had OpenMP support since version
>>>0.15, so you shouldn't need to handle the multihtreading manually.
>>
>> I download a CVS snapshot of the development thread about once a month.
>>
>> OpenMP support doesn't hold a candle to processing one image per CPU
>> with a script. Note the time difference quoted above, it's just over 3
>> times faster.
>
>I noticed that. I also noticed the "uses just 1 CPU serially" in the same
>quote.

You're right, those figures were indeed for /ufraw/ compiled
with OpenMP disabled. Here are times with and without, for
various configurations. These are for batch processing 20
NEF files from a D2X (12 bit compressed format) on a machine
with 8 CPU's.

PROGRAM OpenMP Total_Time Time/Image Sys_Load_Avg

ufraw-batch disabled 342 sec 17.1 sec 1.15
ufraw-batch enabled 214 10.7 3.44

script enabled 89 4.5 22.02
script disabled 84 4.2 7.05

There is little doubt that OpenMP is effective, but it
is not nearly as efficient at parceling out CPU time
within a process for a single image as is a script that
invokes unique processes on multiple images
asynchronously.

(Note that load average values for the script are high
values seen when the script is run 3 times
consecutively. All load average values are probably
slightly lower than what would be seen if a much larger
batch were used.)

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com