From: Tom Shelton on
Mayayana wrote :
>> My only career
>> regrets are that so far, I've lacked the courage to strike out on my
>> own and have remaind a wage slave (farily high paid though it maybe).
>> It's hard to make that leap when you have 7 kids and a mortgage on a
>> 105 year old farm house :) Still, I feel the day is comming in the not
>> to distant future - I'm getting too old and cantankerous to deal with a
>> boss for much longer :)
>>

> I've been self-employed for most of my
> adult life. And I've never really had a real
> 9-5 job for any length of time.

Good for you! (that should not be read sarcastically by the way)

> I'd find that very hard to do.

I can imagine... I've been telecommuting for the last 3 years, and I
can hardly stand the idea of having to actually go to the office. I
get fair amount of job offers and none have been able to pay me enough
to go back to the daily commute :)

> With my own business I have a direct relationship
> with people and no one customer is important
> enough to force my hand. It's difficult to avoid
> uncomfortable compromise when the stakes are
> one's entire livelihood. (Being forced to work too
> many hours, do unethical things, etc.) Though I
> have seen a lot of people for whom self-employment
> was a disaster. It only works for people who are
> self-motivated.

Sure... Just as telecommuting doesn't work for everyone. If you can't
work without someone standing over your shoulder, then it's not for you
:)

>> You can actaully use word, excel, powerpoint, and one note web apps for
>> free.
>>

> Yes. But I thought you had to have the installed
> version in order to do that. ?

Nope. I don't have office 2010 on any of my machines - and I can use
the web apps on ms live just fine.

--
Tom Shelton