From: Randem on
Ok, I guess the underlying question is why does one need to know which of
these version are installed. I remember MS had a tool to attempt to verify
this same thing and the tool came up with different versions installed due
to mis-matched version being installed.

I would think that you would just install the version you need and be done
with it. What am I missing here?

--
The Top Script Generator for Jordan Russell's Inno Setup -
http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: Kevin Provance on

"Randem" <newsgroups(a)randem.com> wrote in message
:
: Ok, I guess the underlying question is why does one need to know which of
: these version are installed. I remember MS had a tool to attempt to verify
: this same thing and the tool came up with different versions installed due
: to mis-matched version being installed.
:
: I would think that you would just install the version you need and be done
: with it. What am I missing here?

Humility, and a basic understanding of interface design.

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:11:44 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net>
wrote:

>[Note: As I know exactly squat about your problem domain, what follows
>can be safely ignored. <g>]

This is for my Auto FE Updater utility which is in use by many
different organizations around the world.

>Probably better and certainly easier is simply require all users to be
>using the latest 'n greatest for ADO and DAO.

Basically I want to present the developer who is using my tool with
all the versions present that the users are using. So they can decide
if there is a problem somewhere.

>ACE/Jet will depend on the version of Office/MSAccess installed.
>So far ACE seems to be maintaining decent backward compatibility.
>There may be a need to support Jet components previous to 2000, but
>again that would be only for legacy Apps.

Most of the start method options in my utility start up MS Access by
interrogating the registry in one fashion or another and locating the
exact path to msaccess.exe. I then look at the first component of
the msaccess.exe version and decide which ACE/Jet version to look up.
As I do have A97 installed, and a few folks out there are still using
it I choose to go that far back in my logic and do log DAO 3.5/Jet
3.5.

>I would think a simple track of the O/S and the Office/MSAccess
>version installed on the Users box would be sufficient to diagnosis
>most problems that might appear.

I'm a paranoid pessimist.

>Some users may need to support special legacy situations - you could
>make a comment for the exceptions.

If someone is still using A2.0 out there and asks me and if I come
across my A2.0 disks which are archived to a CD/DVD somewhere then
I"ll install it. And spend the 10 or 20 minutes to go through the
coce to support it. But I expect the chances of that to be quite
small.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:16:31 -1000, "Randem" <newsgroups(a)randem.com>
wrote:

>Ok, I guess the underlying question is why does one need to know which of
>these version are installed. I remember MS had a tool to attempt to verify
>this same thing and the tool came up with different versions installed due
>to mis-matched version being installed.
>
>I would think that you would just install the version you need and be done
>with it. What am I missing here?

Because my utility is in use by a large number of organizations.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:13:59 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:

>: I would think that you would just install the version you need and be done
>: with it. What am I missing here?
>
>Humility, and a basic understanding of interface design.

Please explain more. Both the humility and the interface design part.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP