From: Peter on
In article <hv575q$lq6$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com says...
> Peter wrote:
> > Jon Danniken wrote:
> >> I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does
> >> inline auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
> >> favorites/bookmarks folder/file.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>

> > Actually Jon, IE8 does do this.
>
> Hmmm, everything I have read, from user postings to MSDN blogs tells me
> otherwise.
>
> You are currently using IAC - from the address bar - with IE8?
>
> Jon

It certainly does. From the address bar. Hadn't really paid it much
attention till now. Normally I'm just typing in a web url, which it
lists the first 6 at the top. However, below the urls it then has a
history heading, under which are the top 5 page titles, and under that
is the Favorites heading, under which are the top 4 matches for the
names under which they were saved to your Favorites.

If I start to type in a name that I know is in my Favorites (and there's
no match for basic urls or history), it only lists the matches for
Favorites.

--
Pete Ives
From: Peter on
In article <hv575q$lq6$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com says...
> Peter wrote:
> > Jon Danniken wrote:
> >> I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does
> >> inline auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
> >> favorites/bookmarks folder/file.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>

> > Actually Jon, IE8 does do this.
>
> Hmmm, everything I have read, from user postings to MSDN blogs tells me
> otherwise.
>
> You are currently using IAC - from the address bar - with IE8?
>
> Jon

Actually, I sent my follow-up just a little too quickly. You need to
type the first 2 characters before it shows any matches in Favorites.

--
Pete Ives
From: Jon Danniken on
Peter wrote:

> It certainly does. From the address bar. Hadn't really paid it much
> attention till now. Normally I'm just typing in a web url, which it
> lists the first 6 at the top. However, below the urls it then has a
> history heading, under which are the top 5 page titles, and under that
> is the Favorites heading, under which are the top 4 matches for the
> names under which they were saved to your Favorites.
>
> If I start to type in a name that I know is in my Favorites (and
> there's no match for basic urls or history), it only lists the
> matches for Favorites.

Yes, I have seen matches available in a drop-down box, but does it
autocomplete the entry on the same line as the one you are typing in? In
other words, can you type a few letters and just hit ENTER without having to
choose from the list you are given?

Thanks,

Jon

From: Peter on
In article <hv7vtp$frq$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com says...
> Peter wrote:
> >

> > It certainly does. From the address bar. Hadn't really paid it much
> > attention till now. Normally I'm just typing in a web url, which it
> > lists the first 6 at the top. However, below the urls it then has a
> > history heading, under which are the top 5 page titles, and under that
> > is the Favorites heading, under which are the top 4 matches for the
> > names under which they were saved to your Favorites.
> >
> > If I start to type in a name that I know is in my Favorites (and
> > there's no match for basic urls or history), it only lists the
> > matches for Favorites.
>
> Yes, I have seen matches available in a drop-down box, but does it
> autocomplete the entry on the same line as the one you are typing in? In
> other words, can you type a few letters and just hit ENTER without having to
> choose from the list you are given?

Once there is only one item left in the list you can hold down shift and
press enter. Otherwise, if there is more than one choice from the
letters that you type how is IE supposed to know which you want?

And if you don't want the History to show, you can disable it from:

tools>>internet options>>content>>auto complete settings

Though it seems you cannot disable auto complete for any websites you
have typed the url for and visited.

--
Pete Ives
From: Jon Danniken on
Peter wrote:

>> Yes, I have seen matches available in a drop-down box, but does it
>> autocomplete the entry on the same line as the one you are typing
>> in? In other words, can you type a few letters and just hit ENTER
>> without having to choose from the list you are given?
>>
> Once there is only one item left in the list you can hold down shift
> and press enter. Otherwise, if there is more than one choice from the
> letters that you type how is IE supposed to know which you want?

Because you set up the names of your Favorites to come up in a particular
sequence, using the order of characters given with the ASCII table, starting
from SPACE. I explained this earlier in the thread, using a three Google
sites as examples.

> Though it seems you cannot disable auto complete for any websites you
> have typed the url for and visited.

For IE6, this value is stored in the registry, and consists of the last 20
(IIRC) entries. Removing an offending entry (most often a typo), is just a
matter of removing it from the registry.

In any case, thanks for confirming that IE8 does not have IAC; I was aware
of the drop-down menu, as well as the SHIFT+ENTER technique that MS enacted
for the address bar.

Jon

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Hello everyone
Next: K-melion - STOP ASKING ME TO UPGRADE