From: Peter on
In article <hvbhlu$hde$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com says...
> Peter wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I have seen matches available in a drop-down box, but does it
> >> autocomplete the entry on the same line as the one you are typing
> >> in? In other words, can you type a few letters and just hit ENTER
> >> without having to choose from the list you are given?
> >>
> > Once there is only one item left in the list you can hold down shift
> > and press enter. Otherwise, if there is more than one choice from the
> > letters that you type how is IE supposed to know which you want?
>
> Because you set up the names of your Favorites to come up in a particular
> sequence, using the order of characters given with the ASCII table, starting
> from SPACE. I explained this earlier in the thread, using a three Google
> sites as examples.
>
> > Though it seems you cannot disable auto complete for any websites you
> > have typed the url for and visited.
>
> For IE6, this value is stored in the registry, and consists of the last 20
> (IIRC) entries. Removing an offending entry (most often a typo), is just a
> matter of removing it from the registry.

Well you could easily delete all previous urls typed from IE8 and start
afresh, so that's not an issue. What I meant was, it cannot disable the
visited urls without disabling inline autocomplete totally.

> In any case, thanks for confirming that IE8 does not have IAC;

Well, it seems to me it does have it, just not specific enough for your
needs because it requires the first 2 characters to be typed before it
will pick up a favorite. Seems good enough for my needs.

--
Pete Ives
From: s spector on
I to have become frustrated by Firefox- too many "not responding"
issues. I tried Google Chrome and so far its looking pretty good. Even
better than IE.

On 6/9/2010 10:39 PM, shegeek72 wrote:
> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
> to IE8. Why? I'm getting tired of getting 'you need to install a
> missing plugin.' Then when I hit install I get 'install manually.' So
> I have to go to the software's website, download and install it
> manually and hope it works (sometimes doesn't). Also, FF continually
> crashes, usually when I'm deleting emails from my yahoo account. And
> when I'm on facebook and try to play a video I often get 'an error
> occurred, please try again later.' However, when I use IE it plays
> fine.
>
> I've used FF for years because of the security holes in IE. However,
> with IE8 MS seems to have addressed those vulnerabilities. When I
> check for exploits, FF seems to have just as many, or nearly as many,
> as IE. And I have to admit I like IE's interface better - it's
> slicker.
>
> I did a check on mozilla.com to find out about the problems with FF
> and there were many, including crashing while on yahoo. Their answer?
> They blamed yahoo. I'm sorry, but that just smacks of 'we're too lazy
> to fix FF so we're blaming it on somebody else.' I thought the whole
> point of open source was thousands of people could tweak the code to
> solve the problems I'm having. Am I wrong?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Hello everyone
Next: K-melion - STOP ASKING ME TO UPGRADE