From: Fruit2O on
Thanks - thi sis the type of information I was looking for - not all
the other BS above. Any more suggestions? What about the graphics
card?

From: S. Fishpaste on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:19:01 +0100, Stefan in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:
> If you really care about performance, then forget about laptops. Thexy
> are inherently slower than desktop machines.

This is NOT true anymore. Some laptops like the Dell XPS line are made
for CAD, 3D and graphics work. Laptops at the high end are just as
powerful as desktop PCs these days. The downside is expandability. The
LCDs on these high end laptops are very good.
From: John Stafford on
In article <slrnhjvnr4.24q.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
"S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:19:01 +0100, Stefan in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
> wrote:
> > If you really care about performance, then forget about laptops. Thexy
> > are inherently slower than desktop machines.
>
> This is NOT true anymore. Some laptops like the Dell XPS line are made
> for CAD, 3D and graphics work.

They are marketed as such, but they are not such.
From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:21:14 -0500, Fruit2O wrote:

> Thanks - thi sis the type of information I was looking for - not all
> the other BS above.

Hey, everything comes to he who waits, LOL.

> Any more suggestions? What about the graphics
> card?

Graphics card performance is not really an issue if you will be doing
normal 2D image work. If you will be using the 3D features of Photoshop
Extended, that might be a different story, but even so, Photoshop is not a
gaming app where you need to render images at 60 fps or more.

Depending on your budget, I'd go with a 64 bit system that will take at
least 8 gigs of memory - this will allow you to handle larger images such
as panoramas and mosaics, and use the raw converter more efficiently.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: S. Fishpaste on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:18:39 -0600, John Stafford in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:
> In article <slrnhjvnr4.24q.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
> "S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:19:01 +0100, Stefan in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
>> wrote:
>> > If you really care about performance, then forget about laptops. Thexy
>> > are inherently slower than desktop machines.
>>
>> This is NOT true anymore. Some laptops like the Dell XPS line are made
>> for CAD, 3D and graphics work.
>
> They are marketed as such, but they are not such.

And how do you know this? I've been using high end laptops in
demanding 3D applications without any problem. My current laptop is as
powerful as the any workstation. The only drawback is expandability
and the only reason to use a workstation these days.