From: John Stafford on
In article <slrnhk3p4c.ebc.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
"S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:18:39 -0600, John Stafford in
> comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:
> > In article <slrnhjvnr4.24q.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
> > "S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:

> >> This is NOT true anymore. Some laptops like the Dell XPS line are made
> >> for CAD, 3D and graphics work.
> >
> > They are marketed as such, but they are not such.
>
> And how do you know this? I've been using high end laptops in
> demanding 3D applications without any problem. My current laptop is as
> powerful as the any workstation.

Thanks for the reply. I do not mind the correction, if your assertion is
true. May I ask what laptop and configuration you are using?
From: S. Fishpaste on
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:41:28 -0600, John Stafford in alt.graphics.photoshop wrote:
> In article <slrnhk3p4c.ebc.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
> "S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 19:18:39 -0600, John Stafford in
>> comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:

>> > They are marketed as such, but they are not such.
>>
>> And how do you know this? I've been using high end laptops in
>> demanding 3D applications without any problem. My current laptop is as
>> powerful as the any workstation.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I do not mind the correction, if your assertion is
> true. May I ask what laptop and configuration you are using?

Well, OK I'll answer your question even if you didn't answer mine. ;-D

Lenovo Elite ThinkPad W700ds w/8 GB Ram, Quad core high end NVIDA
video card. This will be upgraded soon to an i7 or equivalent AMD
powered laptop.
From: John Stafford on
In article <slrnhkkr3p.sga.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
"S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:41:28 -0600, John Stafford in alt.graphics.photoshop
> wrote:

> > Thanks for the reply. I do not mind the correction, if your assertion is
> > true. May I ask what laptop and configuration you are using?
>
> Well, OK I'll answer your question even if you didn't answer mine. ;-D
>
> Lenovo Elite ThinkPad W700ds w/8 GB Ram, Quad core high end NVIDA
> video card. This will be upgraded soon to an i7 or equivalent AMD
> powered laptop.

I just checked them out. I think I'll get one for work.
From: S. Fishpaste on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:13:41 -0600, John Stafford in alt.graphics.photoshop wrote:
> In article <slrnhkkr3p.sga.SDA(a)laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>,
> "S. Fishpaste" <SDA(a)Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:41:28 -0600, John Stafford in alt.graphics.photoshop
>> wrote:
>
>> > Thanks for the reply. I do not mind the correction, if your assertion is
>> > true. May I ask what laptop and configuration you are using?
>>
>> Well, OK I'll answer your question even if you didn't answer mine. ;-D
>>
>> Lenovo Elite ThinkPad W700ds w/8 GB Ram, Quad core high end NVIDA
>> video card. This will be upgraded soon to an i7 or equivalent AMD
>> powered laptop.
>
> I just checked them out. I think I'll get one for work.

Just for the record this isn't the principal workstation that I use;
It's for meeting with clients outside. We needed a powerhouse portable
for that.
From: the_niner_nation on

"Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for opinions on what to look for in a laptop that will be
> used primarily for Photoshop. I'm waiting for USB 3 and intend to get
> Windows 7. But things like the processor, RAM, screen size, color
> controls, graphics card and built-in memory, etc. are going to be
> important. Price is not an object as long as I get what I pay for. I
> travel across the country so durability is important. I'm also
> interested in recommendations for a printer and scanner (specs - not
> necessarily current models).

if you want one that wont crash after a system update or lock your account,
or take 2 minutes to load a RAW image on a 4gb RAM machine, I suggest you
get a mac...