From: Fruit2O on
I'm looking for opinions on what to look for in a laptop that will be
used primarily for Photoshop. I'm waiting for USB 3 and intend to get
Windows 7. But things like the processor, RAM, screen size, color
controls, graphics card and built-in memory, etc. are going to be
important. Price is not an object as long as I get what I pay for. I
travel across the country so durability is important. I'm also
interested in recommendations for a printer and scanner (specs - not
necessarily current models).
From: krp on

"Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for opinions on what to look for in a laptop that will be
> used primarily for Photoshop. I'm waiting for USB 3 and intend to get
> Windows 7. But things like the processor, RAM, screen size, color
> controls, graphics card and built-in memory, etc. are going to be
> important. Price is not an object as long as I get what I pay for. I
> travel across the country so durability is important. I'm also
> interested in recommendations for a printer and scanner (specs - not
> necessarily current models).

GET A MAC!

From: John Stafford on
In article <ncrfj5pha9qivacsfjhl9jcahkgt25q98j(a)4ax.com>,
Fruit2O <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions on what to look for in a laptop that will be
> used primarily for Photoshop. I'm waiting for USB 3 and intend to get
> Windows 7. But things like the processor, RAM, screen size, color
> controls, graphics card and built-in memory, etc. are going to be
> important. Price is not an object as long as I get what I pay for. I
> travel across the country so durability is important. I'm also
> interested in recommendations for a printer and scanner (specs - not
> necessarily current models).

Adobe has a lot of information on this.
Begin with their Photoshop Support page.

This was interesting to me:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405711.html

I found that my Mac Pro's graphics card has an issue that led Adobe to
disable two features. :(
From: André, PE1PQX on
Het is z� dat krp formuleerde :
> "Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for opinions on what to look for in a laptop that will be
>> used primarily for Photoshop. I'm waiting for USB 3 and intend to get
>> Windows 7. But things like the processor, RAM, screen size, color
>> controls, graphics card and built-in memory, etc. are going to be
>> important. Price is not an object as long as I get what I pay for. I
>> travel across the country so durability is important. I'm also
>> interested in recommendations for a printer and scanner (specs - not
>> necessarily current models).
>
> GET A MAC!

BULLSHIT!!!

From: nsbm on
First realize that you cannot accurately calibrate a laptop monitor for
critical printing. If printing is your goal you will need an external
monitor. Calibration and use of consumer grade LCD panels for color managed
printing is the most misunderstood topic in digital photography,
particularly among mac users who do not comprehend how useless their
machines are for the purpose.

Simply get the fastest core duo processor, quad core is not worth the
weight/heat/power consumption for Photoshop. Most laptops are limited to
4gbs of ram, which is plenty for a 64 bit OS. The key thing is to get the
most modern graphics processor, either ATI or NVIDIA, you can as only that
will allow for any GPU accelerated processing (if enabled for laptops, a
whole other issue). USB3 is utterly irrelevant. If you can afford a solid
state drive go for it but there are better things to do with $600.

I would look into vendors like Sager and its ilk. You can get a machine with
top grade parts at a reasonable price.