From: JC Dill on
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:53:33 -0500, KenJr
<kennyjr(a)NOSPAMatlanticbb.net> wrote:

>First of all forget about IS, turn it off. IS is great for shooting
>still life but is nearly worthless for action shots.

Not so. See my other post in this thread for details why.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
From: ASAAR on
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:49:31 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

>> First, the IS generally reduces
>> movement enough so that you get 2 or 3 extra stops of exposure to
>> play with, and whether you want to take advantage of stops of
>> aperture or shutter speed is up to you.
>
> This only works when your lens HAS 2-3 extra stops to play with.

Agreed. Perhaps you didn't notice my use of the word "generally"?
Some people have made even more extravagant claims, saying that they
get from 3 to 4 stops advantage from their camera's IS. I haven't
seen any companies making such claims, but I suppose that it's not
out of the question.

> His lens was 5.6 at max zoom. If he had been using a faster lens, he
> could have opened up his lens 2-3 stops and in doing so had a faster
> shutter speed by the same amount.

Uh, this only works if the lens IS faster and has at least 2 to 3
extra stops to play with. (See how that game works?) If you had
read my reply to its end, you'd have see in point #3 that this was
addressed specifically, mentioning the use of a faster (f/1.8) lens
that could allow the use of a much faster shutter speed. RTFR :)

From: ASAAR on
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:15:05 -0500, then Rita � Berkowitz then
wrote:

> Some people would rather blast off 10,000 shots at an event and pick out a
> handful of keepers. The other issue is if you are serious about shooting
> indoor volleyball there's only two lenses capable of the task, the Canon
> 200/1.8 and the Nikon 200/2. Using any other lenses then them two you are
> better off not wasting your time.

Trying for Blue Collar Speaklish? Don't make halfhearted attempts
when you can go for it full bore with officially sanctioned lingo:
"Using any other lenses then them thar two you're just pussyfooting
around." Blast off 10,000 shots? Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar. :)

"And then? And then?"
"And then along came Jones" -- Saith them Coasters

From: Steve Cutchen on
In article <12qqjjih869kj9c(a)news.supernews.com>, Rita � Berkowitz <
@aol.com> wrote:

> Cynicor wrote:
>
> >> This only works when your lens HAS 2-3 extra stops to play with. His
> >> lens was 5.6 at max zoom. If he had been using a faster lens, he
> >> could have opened up his lens 2-3 stops and in doing so had a faster
> >> shutter speed by the same amount. For instance, if he was shooting
> >> at f5.6 at 1/100, he could have opened up the aperture to f4 and
> >> shot at 1/200, or opened to f2.8 and shot at 1/400. Bingo - now he
> >> can stop the motion blur! IS will also help to offset camera blur
> >> caused by moving the camera quickly to catch and follow the action.
> >
> > One of the things that you should train yourself to do when you're
> > shooting sports is to anticipate the action instead of following it.
> > If I see a breakaway developing, I'll prefocus on the goalie so that
> > when the action hits, I'll be able to squeeze off a couple of shots
> > in a row without adjusting anything.
>
> Some people would rather blast off 10,000 shots at an event and pick out a
> handful of keepers. The other issue is if you are serious about shooting
> indoor volleyball there's only two lenses capable of the task, the Canon
> 200/1.8 and the Nikon 200/2. Using any other lenses then them two you are
> better off not wasting your time.

ya better be ahoping that the gym is a big'n an yew can backup a fur
piece, or you'll be agettin' nuttin but earlobes with that 200mm,
darlin.
From: John McWilliams on
Steve Cutchen wrote:
> In article <12qqjjih869kj9c(a)news.supernews.com>, Rita Ä Berkowitz <
> @aol.com> wrote:

>>> One of the things that you should train yourself to do when you're
>>> shooting sports is to anticipate the action instead of following it.
>>> If I see a breakaway developing, I'll prefocus on the goalie so that
>>> when the action hits, I'll be able to squeeze off a couple of shots
>>> in a row without adjusting anything.
>> Some people would rather blast off 10,000 shots at an event and pick out a
>> handful of keepers. The other issue is if you are serious about shooting
>> indoor volleyball there's only two lenses capable of the task, the Canon
>> 200/1.8 and the Nikon 200/2. Using any other lenses then them two you are
>> better off not wasting your time.
>
> ya better be ahoping that the gym is a big'n an yew can backup a fur
> piece, or you'll be agettin' nuttin but earlobes with that 200mm,
> darlin.

Yer up 'ginst the Mistress of Hyperbole, although she's a he in this
case....

I wouldn't mind the 200 on my 5D....

--
John McWilliams