From: Cynicor on
Rita � Berkowitz wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>>> This only works when your lens HAS 2-3 extra stops to play with. His
>>> lens was 5.6 at max zoom. If he had been using a faster lens, he
>>> could have opened up his lens 2-3 stops and in doing so had a faster
>>> shutter speed by the same amount. For instance, if he was shooting
>>> at f5.6 at 1/100, he could have opened up the aperture to f4 and
>>> shot at 1/200, or opened to f2.8 and shot at 1/400. Bingo - now he
>>> can stop the motion blur! IS will also help to offset camera blur
>>> caused by moving the camera quickly to catch and follow the action.
>>
>> One of the things that you should train yourself to do when you're
>> shooting sports is to anticipate the action instead of following it.
>> If I see a breakaway developing, I'll prefocus on the goalie so that
>> when the action hits, I'll be able to squeeze off a couple of shots
>> in a row without adjusting anything.
>
> Some people would rather blast off 10,000 shots at an event and pick out
> a handful of keepers. The other issue is if you are serious about
> shooting indoor volleyball there's only two lenses capable of the task,
> the Canon 200/1.8 and the Nikon 200/2. Using any other lenses then them
> two you are better off not wasting your time.

Depends upon where you're sitting. The 70-200 VR lens is just peachy,
and the difference between f/2 and f/2.8 isn't going to lose you the
non-pro shots.

I just found this site - you can rent a 300mm f/2.8 Canon lens for
$150/week. I wonder if renting a 200mm f/2 rental for a special game
would be something good to try. I rented a 70-200 VR for a weekend to
get used to it before I bought one.
From: Eric Babula on
Steve Cutchen <maxfaq(a)earthlink.net> wrote in

> In article <150120072113418465%maxfaq(a)earthlink.net>, Steve Cutchen
> <maxfaq(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Technique
> A few other things I thought of. Think about what makes a good
> shot. Sometimes, the best shot is not at the point of ball contact.
> For example,
> Shoot the server when the ball is at its apex.
> Shoot the outside hitter when they are "fully loaded", just before
> the swing starts forward.
> Get the setter just after the set is gone, and you'll have a good
> chance of getting the attackers looking to the ball in
> anticipation. Shoot two players as they are subbing in for each
> other. Try to get the excitment of a player AFTER they make a
> great play. Get the outside when she's screaming after the line
> shot past the double block!
> Get the high fives after the ace serve.
> Get the bench as they are in mid rise to their feet.
> Get the player's concentration before the opponent serves.
> Get the fans.
> Get... the idea? heh.

Steve -

Sorry, I'm having troubles with my newsfeed, both at work and at home.
So, I'm getting only some posts (like, I didn't get the one you sent
right before this one - had to read that on groups.google). Damn it!

Anyway, I'll try to address both of your posts, here.

My girls are 13 and 11, and in club volleyball. Does that make much of a
difference? Well, speed of action is quite a bit different than your HS
shots, I guess. But, otherwise, all the concepts you mentioned would be
pretty much the same, wouldn't they?

I checked out your website, and was able to download a bunch of pics and
check out the EXIFs on them. Thanks for the link! Helps me learn. Also,
it helps me learn the positions I 'should' be in to take great shots. I
say 'should', because in many club tournaments, you're only allowed to
be sitting at one end of the court. I'd love to be on the sideline,
around the 10-foot line, but that might not be possible in many cases.
I'll just have to do what I can, with what I have. I will be on the
sideline, given the chance, though!

Looks like you like to use ISO 3200 for pretty much everything (oops,
just re-read your earlier post, and you said just that!). Your shutter
speed varies, I'm assuming with your focal length or Aperture. But, your
Aperture is often between f4.0 and f5.6! That's what I'd mostly be at,
too. My 18-55mm is F3.5-5.6 and my 70-300mm is f4.0-5.6. So, I really
'should' be able to get pics nearly as nice as these, with practice,
right?!

Ok, you use Noise Ninja to reduce the noise. I downloaded the trial
version, and wow! It seems to really help with the noise for ISO 3200
shots! Nice! But, how do you get the brightness and color to be
maintained. Like, this pic of yours:
http://www.clearlakevolleyball.com/teams/varsity/Creek/Creek-
Pages/Image13.html
The blues still look blue, the reds look red, etc. It seems, as I go up
in ISO and shutter speed, the pictures grey out. Dark blues and greens
become more toward black, etc. What are you doing to keep the colors and
skin tones nice?

BTW - I do play volleyball too - so I kinda have an idea of the game,
and where the 'money shots' are! I'm just hoping I can get the Pentax
K100D to capture what I see! ;-)

Thanks again for all the help!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

From: Steve Cutchen on
In article <Xns98BC80377824Cebabulacare2com(a)66.192.254.230>, Eric
Babula <ebabula(a)care2.com> wrote:

> Steve -
>
> Sorry, I'm having troubles with my newsfeed, both at work and at home.
> So, I'm getting only some posts (like, I didn't get the one you sent
> right before this one - had to read that on groups.google). Damn it!
>
> Anyway, I'll try to address both of your posts, here.
>
> My girls are 13 and 11, and in club volleyball. Does that make much of a
> difference? Well, speed of action is quite a bit different than your HS
> shots, I guess. But, otherwise, all the concepts you mentioned would be
> pretty much the same, wouldn't they?
>
> I checked out your website, and was able to download a bunch of pics and
> check out the EXIFs on them. Thanks for the link! Helps me learn. Also,
> it helps me learn the positions I 'should' be in to take great shots. I
> say 'should', because in many club tournaments, you're only allowed to
> be sitting at one end of the court. I'd love to be on the sideline,
> around the 10-foot line, but that might not be possible in many cases.
> I'll just have to do what I can, with what I have. I will be on the
> sideline, given the chance, though!

At that age, they are playing below the top of the net, so you want to
be on their side. Shots through the net are pretty lousy. Also, at
this age, much of the game is serve, serve receive and passing. A bit
of decent setting, but not so much hitting. Very little blocking. 13s
are starting to hit decently, but it is still not the key to the game.
So pictures taken from near the net plane are going to be the best.

Often times, I was able to plant myself at the base of the up ref's
tower, unless it was a really big tournament where the courts were
literally edge to edge. If you can get planted there, especially if
you have a club shirt on, you can make yourself look like you think
it's OK to be there... Try it and see if they run you off!

A hard part for me was trying to be quiet while photographing near the
ref. heh.

> Looks like you like to use ISO 3200 for pretty much everything (oops,
> just re-read your earlier post, and you said just that!). Your shutter
> speed varies, I'm assuming with your focal length or Aperture. But, your
> Aperture is often between f4.0 and f5.6! That's what I'd mostly be at,
> too. My 18-55mm is F3.5-5.6 and my 70-300mm is f4.0-5.6. So, I really
> 'should' be able to get pics nearly as nice as these, with practice,
> right?!

Certainly!

> Ok, you use Noise Ninja to reduce the noise. I downloaded the trial
> version, and wow! It seems to really help with the noise for ISO 3200
> shots! Nice! But, how do you get the brightness and color to be
> maintained. Like, this pic of yours:
> http://www.clearlakevolleyball.com/teams/varsity/Creek/Creek-
> Pages/Image13.html
> The blues still look blue, the reds look red, etc. It seems, as I go up
> in ISO and shutter speed, the pictures grey out. Dark blues and greens
> become more toward black, etc. What are you doing to keep the colors and
> skin tones nice?

I'm often shooting wide open with the lens, so the aperture is whatever
it can get to at that focal length. Noise Ninja doesn't really help
with colors. I do play a bit with the Levels equivalent in iPhoto to
help with exposure. But correct color is set with custom white
balance.

Noise Ninja will let you save profiles created from your persoanl
camera. Very nice.

> BTW - I do play volleyball too - so I kinda have an idea of the game,
> and where the 'money shots' are! I'm just hoping I can get the Pentax
> K100D to capture what I see! ;-)
>
> Thanks again for all the help!

I started right where you are, but with a much inferior camera. When
my daughter was 14, her team won a Junior Olympic Bronze Medal. That
same year, we finished third in the Cajunland tournament in New
Orleans; the same convention center where the carnage took place in the
wake of Katrina. That was a sobering sight, because we remembered it
with such fond memories.

She is now finished with her Junior year in HS. Club is over for us.
And we have one more year of school ball. I also played when younger,
and know the game well, so it has been something we could really share.
Club and school ball have been a blast. Have fun with it!
From: David Dyer-Bennet on
Steve Cutchen wrote:

> Often times, I was able to plant myself at the base of the up ref's
> tower, unless it was a really big tournament where the courts were
> literally edge to edge. If you can get planted there, especially if
> you have a club shirt on, you can make yourself look like you think
> it's OK to be there... Try it and see if they run you off!

I discovered something very like this in highschool -- if I behaved like
I was doing something official, and avoided being in the way, I was
almost always left alone. I'm sure this wouldn't work at the Olympics
or at an NFL game, but it works great at highschool and college events,
and others not at the national level, or not "big-time" sports. This is
one of those "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" things;
they may not even have procedures for giving permission, but if you look
real enough nobody will take the time to actually run you off.
From: John McWilliams on
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Steve Cutchen wrote:
>
>> Often times, I was able to plant myself at the base of the up ref's
>> tower, unless it was a really big tournament where the courts were
>> literally edge to edge. If you can get planted there, especially if
>> you have a club shirt on, you can make yourself look like you think
>> it's OK to be there... Try it and see if they run you off!
>
> I discovered something very like this in highschool -- if I behaved like
> I was doing something official, and avoided being in the way, I was
> almost always left alone. I'm sure this wouldn't work at the Olympics
> or at an NFL game, but it works great at highschool and college events,
> and others not at the national level, or not "big-time" sports. This is
> one of those "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" things;
> they may not even have procedures for giving permission, but if you look
> real enough nobody will take the time to actually run you off.

Another method to give the above another boost is to offer to shoot for
a local paper. Even the HS publication. Then before the match, introduce
yourself as Joe Blogs "who's shooting for the West Deedonk Record" to
both coaches and the Refs, and you're pretty good to go.

Above all, enjoy!

--
John McWilliams