From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
>> If as George MacDonald suggests that the El Torito standard was not completely
>> implemented in this BIOS, then some CD-ROMs will not boot up, no matter how modern the
>> drive is that it attached to it.
>
> Sure, but its unlikely that if that was the case, it wouldnt
> say so in the FAQ, because plenty would try to boot
> distribution CDs of stuff like 98, XP, Ghost etc.

You assume that this PC was popular enough to try such advanced tricks
such as Ghost. Windows 98 was available on floppies, so if people needed
to go upto 98 on this machine, then likely they went with floppies. I
don't see most people keeping this model of PC long enough to try
putting XP on it. This is a Pentium 120MHz, after all.

> Did you try resetting the bios completely as it documents ?

Yes, Rod.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unruh wrote:
>>> Does the machine have a floppy drive? You can boot from floppy in
>>> order to install Linux.
>> Actually it does have a floppy drive, but there are no floppy disks
>> available. Besides even if we did get a floppy disk to boot from,
>> there's no guarantee that the drive even works any longer. The perils
>> of old technology.
>
> The usual way to handle that is to have a floppy drive that
> you use temporarily if the existing one doesnt work anymore.

Hard to find these days. Cost way more than they're worth.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> The only thing that the HP website talked about was
>>> how to boot the original recovery CD, and nothing else.

>> That is just plain wrong.

> Yeah, really Rod? You basically know exactly what I read?

I know what the web site has.

>>> Nothing else is guaranteed it seems.

>> And that too. If you cant boot say 98 and XP distribution
>> CDs on that system, they would say so in the FAQ.

> There were no Win 98 or XP distribution CD's for that system.

Irrelevant to whether some might well choose to try to use one with it.

> Came out before 98, and way before XP.

Irrelevant to whether some might well choose to try to use one with it.

> I had a retail XP CD of my own that I tried on the system to no avail.

Then you should try resetting the bios completely,
as that web site document documents.

If that doesnt work, likely its developed a hardware
problem and you should try the boot manager instead.

From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> If as George MacDonald suggests that the El Torito standard was not
>>> completely implemented in this BIOS, then some CD-ROMs will not
>>> boot up, no matter how modern the drive is that it attached to it.

>> Sure, but its unlikely that if that was the case, it wouldnt
>> say so in the FAQ, because plenty would try to boot
>> distribution CDs of stuff like 98, XP, Ghost etc.

> You assume that this PC was popular enough to try such advanced tricks such as Ghost.

Nope, assuming nothing, JUST that someone is likely to have
tried to get some bootable CD to boot on that and that HP is
likely to have documented the fact that it can only boot their
recovery CD if that is in fact the case, when they went out of
their way to write a decent document that covers all the likely
things that can happen to a CD in that system.

> Windows 98 was available on floppies, so if people needed to go upto 98 on this machine,
> then likely they went with floppies.

Very unlikely indeed given that it has a CD drive.

> I don't see most people keeping this model of PC long enough to try putting XP on it.
> This is a Pentium 120MHz, after all.

Sure, but someone is bound to have tried to put 98 on it and almost
certainly have tried to boot some other distribution CD on it too.

>> Did you try resetting the bios completely as it documents ?

> Yes, Rod.

Then you should have said so.

From: Nuno J. Silva (aka NJSG) on
A 12-07-2006 20:45, Yousuf Khan escreveu:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> Should be easy to test that possibility by trying to boot a Win
>> distribution CD.
>

> Well, we did try to boot from a burned Win XP CD for kicks, and it
> didn't boot off of that either. Don't have any other copies of Win 95 or
> Win 98 lying around here anymore to try out.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Try SmartBootManager.

I've a Pentium machine which was refusing to boot from linux CD's. I
installed SBM in a floppy, and I booted the computer using the floppy.
Now I'm able to boot CD's via the CD-ROM option of SBM.

(Note that there's a problem with some computers (like my pentium) - the
CD-ROM drive is not listed when I boot SBM. I've solved this following
the procedures listed in SBM FAQs.)

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka NJSG)
Lisbon, Portugal

Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7
Gentoo Linux -- Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 Mobile Pentium II
Intel Pentium II (80686) Deschutes - 334Mhz -- 256 Mbs SDRAM
Intel Mobile Pentium II (80686) - 300 Mhz -- 64 Mbs SDRAM
Intel Pentium (80586) - 166 Mhz -- 48 Mbs RAM

-=-=-
â??Linux,... because life is too short for reboots!â??

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: M766LRT MB with PIII600E Slot 1
Next: AWD64GB