From: Yousuf Khan on
The little lost angel wrote:
> On 9 Jul 2006 15:23:02 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure you can probably find the
>> source code for Ffox/Tbird, and make your own Ubuntu 5.10 packages from
>> it. Otherwise, just upgrade to Ubuntu 6.0.
>
> I'll be doing that once I get my current project out of the way.

This was actually the first sign that there's something special about
Ubuntu, when my brother upgraded his computer from 5.10 to 6.06 himself
without my assistance.

> Fortunately for me, I don't usually have to bother with NTFS. The only
> reason I have a drive with NTFS is simply to deal with the occasional
>> 4GB file like for making DVD backup images.
>
> If I migrate entirely to Linux of course that 4GB limit wouldn't be an
> issue.

Yeah, there won't be an NTFS filesystem left on this system within a few
days after everything has been migrated over.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
ray wrote:
> IMHO - you should not even try to install Ubuntu on a computer that old.
> If it succeeded, you would not be happy with the performance. Much better
> to try Elive, Vector, Damn Small, or something of that ilk.

The Elive looks pretty interesting judging by the screenshots. The other
bunch look too stripped down to do what I'm looking for (namely a
Windows 9x replacement).

Yousuf Khan
From: Dan N on
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:50:43 +0000, Scott Alfter wrote:

> Those are even assuming that there's still an NTFS or FAT partition. It's
> entirely possible that the drive was nuked and repartitioned with only
> native-Linux partitions.

You're right. Reading NTFS or FAT partitions is hardly the killer app
that's going to springboard Linux into the limelight.

Dan

From: Rod Speed on
Dan N <dan(a)localhost.localdomain> wrote
> Scott Alfter wrote

>> Those are even assuming that there's still an NTFS or
>> FAT partition. It's entirely possible that the drive was
>> nuked and repartitioned with only native-Linux partitions.

> You're right. Reading NTFS or FAT partitions is hardly the
> killer app that's going to springboard Linux into the limelight.

Lack of it may well be what stops quite a few trying it on their
personal desktop system to see if it does what they need tho.

Thats clearly what ubuntu particularly is attempting
to do, provide a viable alternative to Win.

From: Dan N on
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:54:31 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> Lack of it may well be what stops quite a few trying it on their personal
> desktop system to see if it does what they need tho.
>
> Thats clearly what ubuntu particularly is attempting to do, provide a
> viable alternative to Win.

Ubuntu is moving so fast that I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the next
release.

One feature that ubuntu has that I really like is its ability to easily
connect to a variety of servers, including ssh (like windows PuTTY),
webdav (a feature found in IE), ftp and windows shares. Go to
Places->Connect-To-Server. It leaves you a permanent icon for easy gui
browsing. Makes it easy to access to other computers, via a variety of
connection modes.

Only problem is there are still some bugs in it, the biggest one being
that you can't change the connection settings afterwards. It's also a
pain that it insists on leaving the icon on your desktop.

Dan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: M766LRT MB with PIII600E Slot 1
Next: AWD64GB