From: The little lost angel on
On 8 Jul 2006 22:37:35 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are running on
>Ubuntu, but they only seem to be made available on Ubuntu 6.0+. On
>Ubuntu 5.10, Firefox was limited to 1.0.5 or something (didn't try out
>Thunderbird yet at that point), but under Ubuntu 6.06, it's the got the
>latest Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5.0.4.

I was trying out 5.1 so it came with 1.0.5 which I then attempted to
upgrade to 1.5.04.

>Digital cameras also work pretty well.

Never bothered to try that, not even for Windows. I simply use a card
reader. It's just SO much more convenient and hassle free without
having to worry about any potential issues from the different cameras
each of us have. :P

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
From: Rod Speed on
Ed H. <none(a)localhost.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> writes

>>> Yes, and you will find that it makes a terrible cup of espresso as well.

>> Have fun explaining how come knoppix handles the same drive fine.

> Ubuntu doesn't have any problem with it either.

Fraid it does with the effortlessness and intuitiveness that was being discussed.

Knoppix does it much more intuitively.

>>> And he wants to do that why?

>> Irrelevant to whether it really has arrived. It hasnt even now.

> The OP didn't say he set it up for dual boot.

The OP is irrelevant.

> He said he upgraded from XP *TO* Ubuntu 5.10. If all he has on the system is Ubuntu
> (or any other distro of Linux), why would there be a need to access XP partitions?

Irrelevant to whether its time has come for those who dont use ubuntu exclusively.

> My experience has been that XP is the OS that has trouble
> accessing Linux part. and not the other way around.

Not with FAT32 and NTFS partitions it doesnt.

From: Rod Speed on
YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> I just upgraded my brother's computer from Win XP to
>>> Ubuntu 5.10. It was an unbelievable success! It surprised
>>> even me how smoothly it went -- didn't need to go into the
>>> command-line even once. Linux has arrived, it seems.

>> Nope, now try accessing NTFS formatted partitions on that.

>> Or even just FAT32 partitions.

> Okay, those needed me to go into the command-line.
> But it's not really a problem,

I didnt say it was a problem, JUST that it clearly
hasnt ARRIVED yet when that hasnt been fixed.

Not as if its difficult to fix, knoppix handles that fine.

> those filesystems are about to be upgraded
> to Linux once they've been copied off.

Sure, but many will want to keep a dual boot config
instead, because even with ubuntu, there's still quite
a bit that isnt handled as well as it is with XP.

>>> So he's got his Firefox and Thunderbird just like in Windows.
>>> He's found himself a bittorrent client that he likes, IM's with
>>> Gaim. I've even found the solutions to allow him to play
>>> Windows *.WMV and *.WMA video and audio files. He's happy. :-)

>> Until he trys to access XP partitions.

> All of those files were backed up onto DVD-ROM prior
> to the upgrade, which is ISO9660/Rockridge filesystem,
> not XP, so those ones get mounted without problems.

Sure, but many would prefer to use them on the hard drive instead.

>> Should work, you can usually move a hard drive
>> between systems and have it boot fine with linux.

>> You could also try http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
>> to boot the CD

> No, that bootmanager would involve downloading something into the
> computer which is already bloated with spyware under Windows 95.

No it doesnt. You can download it with anything you
like and install it without even booting that W95.

> Downloading is likely not going to work right now.

Corse it will, just do that on a different system.

>> You should be able to see how to get into the bios on the
>> Pav on the HP site if you have a proper model number.

> I already know the proper model number, but it doesn't look
> like HP is too interested in giving you BIOS information.

I didnt mean bios info, just how to set it to boot
off a CD. Bet it does tell you how to do that.

From: Hans Poppe on
bbbl67 wisely stated:

> I just upgraded my brother's computer from Win XP to Ubuntu 5.10. It
> was an unbelievable success! It surprised even me how smoothly it went
> -- didn't need to go into the command-line even once. Linux has
> arrived, it seems. My brother is a highly typical computer user,
> doesn't know how it works, just wants to use it for: email, chat, IM,
> P2P, videos, MP3's, etc. What surprised me too was that after I
> finished installing Ubuntu 5.10 for him, he himself went to the
> Internet and upgraded it to Ubuntu 6.06 without my assistance! You know
> you've got fool-proof system when it's that easy. So he's got his
> Firefox and Thunderbird just like in Windows. He's found himself a
> bittorrent client that he likes, IM's with Gaim. I've even found the
> solutions to allow him to play Windows *.WMV and *.WMA video and audio
> files. He's happy. :-)
>
> So, later I told this story to some of my cousins and now they're
> interested in putting Ubuntu onto a secondary computer of theirs. Now
> my brother's computer was easy because it's a relatively modern PC (AMD
> Duron 1.1Ghz), but the cousin's PC is a really old museum piece of a
> computer, an old HP Pavillion with an original Pentium at 100Mhz. I
> tried to boot from CD, but I'm not sure if this thing can even boot
> from CD. Looking up the HP site seems to indicate that it can boot from
> CD, but maybe that's only for its own original equipment CD drive --
> that's long since died and it's been replaced with an aftermarket CD
> burner. I can't even get into the BIOS setup of this HP PC. Anyways,
> long story short, I'm thinking of taking the hard drive out of the HP
> and temporarily plugging it into a more modern computer to install the
> Ubuntu from CD there. Then when it's done installing the packages and
> it asks you to reboot the machine, I'm thinking of then moving the hard
> disk back to the old HP, and let it finish its setup there. I'm
> assuming that there's nothing system-specific that's being done in the
> first part of the install, and all of the system-specific stuff is done
> in the second part of the install? Does this have any chance of
> working?
>
> Yousuf Khan
One little trick that I've used to get "into" the BIOS on older machines,
where entering BIOS isn't intuitive is to turn the machine off, open it,
remove one (only one) of the RAM pieces. Now boot the machine. Most systems
will then give an error i.e. physical RAM has changed, press F1 to continue
or press Ctrl + Alt +S to enter setup. On many older systems entering the
BIOS is not "Del", "F2" of "F10".

Hans Poppe
Oslo, Norway
--
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others with any invention of ours, and this
From: YKhan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> > Okay, those needed me to go into the command-line.
> > But it's not really a problem,
>
> I didnt say it was a problem, JUST that it clearly
> hasnt ARRIVED yet when that hasnt been fixed.

Okay, if mounting a non-native filesystem without some command-line
effort is what you'd consider as not having arrived yet, then so be it.
This is boring me.

> Sure, but many will want to keep a dual boot config
> instead, because even with ubuntu, there's still quite
> a bit that isnt handled as well as it is with XP.

My point is that we're already at a point in usability here where you
will not have go back to XP for anything. That's what I meant by having
arrived. A lot of the most popular types of applications (if not the
applications themselves) are now available in Linux.

So far, I've seen IM, email, web browser, digital camera i/o and
editing, video (including Microsoft-proprietary formats) playback and
editing, printing, all available in Linux. With this little list, I've
got an operating system that is fully functional for at least my
brother for everything that he does with his computer, and I suspect
that he's probably pretty representative of a large portion of PC
users. This is a large leap in functionality for Linux from where it
was previously where only somebody like me could get it working, and
I'm on the geek end of computer users, a Unix system admin -- hardly
representative of average PC users.

> > All of those files were backed up onto DVD-ROM prior
> > to the upgrade, which is ISO9660/Rockridge filesystem,
> > not XP, so those ones get mounted without problems.
>
> Sure, but many would prefer to use them on the hard drive instead.

Most people assume that you're going to need to back some stuff off to
CD/DVD when doing the conversion. Especially since most people don't
have more than one hard disk in their system, so it's usually a case of
completely converting over their sole hard drive to Linux, not
converting one drive to Linux and leaving others alone. The partition
resizers aren't going to work if you've filled up your whole drive to
near capacity, which is easy to do when you're downloading movies and
mp3's.

If they need to use Windows filesystems, then they can go to the
slightly extra step of the command-line. The reverse option isn't even
available to them from XP's command-line, let alone through a GUI.

> >> Should work, you can usually move a hard drive
> >> between systems and have it boot fine with linux.
>
> >> You could also try http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
> >> to boot the CD
>
> > No, that bootmanager would involve downloading something into the
> > computer which is already bloated with spyware under Windows 95.
>
> No it doesnt. You can download it with anything you
> like and install it without even booting that W95.

If you'll recall I've already said that CD-based booting is not working
on this system. Not a Linux boot CD, not even a Windows boot CD. The
only thing that boots is the Windows 95 on the hard disk. So how do you
expect the boot manager is going to load itself into memory, devine
intervention?

> > Downloading is likely not going to work right now.
>
> Corse it will, just do that on a different system.
>
> >> You should be able to see how to get into the bios on the
> >> Pav on the HP site if you have a proper model number.
>
> > I already know the proper model number, but it doesn't look
> > like HP is too interested in giving you BIOS information.
>
> I didnt mean bios info, just how to set it to boot
> off a CD. Bet it does tell you how to do that.

No, it doesn't, all it says is "put a CD in the drive and boot from
it", and that's extent of all of the detail it's got, but quite
obviously that's not working. But you're welcome to look for yourself.
HP Pavillion 5040.

Yousuf Khan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14