From: Rod Speed on
Mouser <greymaus(a)cableone.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> I just upgraded my brother's computer from Win
>>> XP to Ubuntu 5.10...Linux has arrived, it seems.

>> Nope, now try accessing NTFS formatted partitions on that.

>> Or even just FAT32 partitions.
>
> I have two external (USB2.0) 112GB hard drives where I keep
> everything that isn't part of the UBUNTU 5.1 system. That's on an
> internal 35G drive. Both the USB drives are set up with FAT32
> partitions. They work fine.

I didnt say they dont work, its just nowhere near as
intuitively implemented as say with knoppix that handles
that very basic op fine. Nothing like 'arrived' yet.

Some areas, like what happens when you plug in a digital camera
is done very well, others like that partition access still has some
way to go with ubuntu, but not with knoppix. Knoppix doesnt handle
the digital camera so intuitively tho, so neither has really 'arrived' yet.

From: YKhan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded my brother's computer from Win XP to
> > Ubuntu 5.10. It was an unbelievable success! It surprised
> > even me how smoothly it went -- didn't need to go into the
> > command-line even once. Linux has arrived, it seems.
>
> Nope, now try accessing NTFS formatted partitions on that.
>
> Or even just FAT32 partitions.

Okay, those needed me to go into the command-line. But it's not really
a problem, those filesystems are about to be upgraded to Linux once
they've been copied off.

> > So he's got his Firefox and Thunderbird just like in Windows.
> > He's found himself a bittorrent client that he likes, IM's with
> > Gaim. I've even found the solutions to allow him to play
> > Windows *.WMV and *.WMA video and audio files. He's happy. :-)
>
> Until he trys to access XP partitions.

All of those files were backed up onto DVD-ROM prior to the upgrade,
which is ISO9660/Rockridge filesystem, not XP, so those ones get
mounted without problems.

> Should work, you can usually move a hard drive
> between systems and have it boot fine with linux.
>
> You could also try http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
> to boot the CD

No, that bootmanager would involve downloading something into the
computer which is already bloated with spyware under Windows 95.
Downloading is likely not going to work right now.

> You should be able to see how to get into the bios on the
> Pav on the HP site if you have a proper model number.

I already know the proper model number, but it doesn't look like HP is
too interested in giving you BIOS information.

Yousuf Khan

From: YKhan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Some areas, like what happens when you plug in a digital camera
> is done very well, others like that partition access still has some
> way to go with ubuntu, but not with knoppix. Knoppix doesnt handle
> the digital camera so intuitively tho, so neither has really 'arrived' yet.

Yes, we've already tried the digital camera thing, and it worked like a
charm.

Yousuf Khan

From: YKhan on
The little lost angel wrote:
> I am embarrassed and stunned speechless by your brother wrt the same
> attempt. I had to jump through hoops just to get a newer version of
> Firefox to work on my Ubuntu. A new project got in the way so I still
> haven't got around to fixing sound (gone after attempting to make MP3
> work), much less video. :(

Actually, the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are running on
Ubuntu, but they only seem to be made available on Ubuntu 6.0+. On
Ubuntu 5.10, Firefox was limited to 1.0.5 or something (didn't try out
Thunderbird yet at that point), but under Ubuntu 6.06, it's the got the
latest Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5.0.4.

Digital cameras also work pretty well.

Yousuf Khan

From: Ed H. on
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:14:51 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> writes
>>> bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Nope, now try accessing NTFS formatted partitions on that.
>
>>> Or even just FAT32 partitions.
>
>> Yes, and you will find that it makes a terrible cup of espresso as well.
>
> Have fun explaining how come knoppix handles the same drive fine.

Ubuntu doesn't have any problem with it either.

>>> Until he trys to access XP partitions.
>
>> And he wants to do that why?
>
> Irrelevant to whether it really has arrived. It hasnt even now.

The OP didn't say he set it up for dual boot. He said he upgraded from XP
*TO* Ubuntu 5.10. If all he has on the system is Ubuntu (or any other
distro of Linux), why would there be a need to access XP partitions?

My experience has been that XP is the OS that has trouble accessing Linux
part. and not the other way around.

Ed

--
Registered Linux User #416016