From: Paul on
UCLAN wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>> Drive D: is labelled as "HP Recovery." What will this do?
>>
>> Yep, that's the one you want. You should be able to invoke its
>> services with an F Key during boot-time. If you can't see the
>> opportunity for the F Key, then you need to go into the BIOS -- again,
>> this is a boot-time option -- and find a setting that displays the
>> Power On screen.
>
> I've been trying different "F Keys" during boot-up. No luck. Still
> can't get into BIOS or "HP Recovery."
>
> I'll keep trying.

We had a recent poster, who couldn't trigger recovery (wipeout of C:),
because of the keyboard itself. No F keys were being sent to the
computer. A different keyboard fixed it.

Paul
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> UCLAN wrote:

>>> Yep, that's the one you want. You should be able to invoke its services
>>> with an F Key during boot-time. If you can't see the opportunity for the
>>> F Key, then you need to go into the BIOS -- again, this is a boot-time
>>> option -- and find a setting that displays the Power On screen.
>>
>> I've been trying different "F Keys" during boot-up. No luck. Still
>> can't get into BIOS or "HP Recovery."
>>
>> I'll keep trying.
>
> We had a recent poster, who couldn't trigger recovery (wipeout of C:),
> because of the keyboard itself. No F keys were being sent to the
> computer. A different keyboard fixed it.
>
> Paul

Good call.

From: JD on
On 24/05/2010 8:42 PM, Paul wrote:
> UCLAN wrote:

>>> Yep, that's the one you want. You should be able to invoke its
>>> services with an F Key during boot-time. If you can't see the
>>> opportunity for the F Key, then you need to go into the BIOS --
>>> again, this is a boot-time option -- and find a setting that displays
>>> the Power On screen.
>>
>> I've been trying different "F Keys" during boot-up. No luck. Still
>> can't get into BIOS or "HP Recovery."
>>
>> I'll keep trying.
>
> We had a recent poster, who couldn't trigger recovery (wipeout of C:),
> because of the keyboard itself. No F keys were being sent to the
> computer. A different keyboard fixed it.
>
> Paul

Thats a good point there are some wireless/wired keyboards (logitec for
example)that use the F keys as multimedia short-cuts and you have to use
a F key toggle switch somewhere on the board.

if he continues to have problems, getting an XP oem disk and
flattening/rebuilding might be the best choice (drivers available from
the support section on hp site), or apparently you can go to the HP
website enter your model number and order the re-install media (however
i'm finding that section hard to locate)

from the HP website
(http://h20219.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/312352-0-0-225-121.html):

"With HP Backup & Recovery Manager, file restoration is easy. To recover
a deleted file, simply use the Restore Wizard. For a full system
restoration, press the F11 key during bootup and then select "Recover
PC" from the menu."

however as I mentioned in the previous post, some other HP users had
problems with there Recovery partition and "Marking it Active" restored
the F11 Boot option at startup.

JD

From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>>Yep, that's the one you want. You should be able to invoke its services
>>>with an F Key during boot-time. If you can't see the opportunity for the
>>>F Key, then you need to go into the BIOS -- again, this is a boot-time
>>>option -- and find a setting that displays the Power On screen.
>>
>>I've been trying different "F Keys" during boot-up. No luck. Still
>>can't get into BIOS or "HP Recovery."
>>
>>I'll keep trying.
>
> If you see the Windows Welcome Screen, you missed your opportunity.
>
> There is a very small window of opportunity to invoke the System Recovery
> operation that resides on Drive D. You need to repeatedly press F10 starting
> when you turn the power switch to ON -- I _think_ it's the F10 Key.

Oh, it's F10 alright. There's 3 or 4 F-key options during boot. Problem is
that none of them work. I've tried pressing only when those options appear
(briefly on the screen) and I've tried pressing it several times between when
I press the ON switch, and before the Windows Welcome screen appears. Maybe
my keyboard is bad?

> When you set the power switch to ON, the machine does a Power ON Self Test
> and then loads the BIOS. I suppose it might load the BIOS then do the tests.
> In any case, to get into the BIOS (also called Setup), you press ESC or
> DELETE or F1 -- depending on the system -- and look through the settings for
> one that allows the tests to be displayed onscreen as they are taking place.

Yeah, none of the above work at all. Frustrating. I can remember watching the
RAM being tested on an old computer. More fun than watching a blank screen,
IMO. Oh well. I'll keep trying.
From: UCLAN on
Paul wrote:

>>> Yep, that's the one you want. You should be able to invoke its
>>> services with an F Key during boot-time. If you can't see the
>>> opportunity for the F Key, then you need to go into the BIOS --
>>> again, this is a boot-time option -- and find a setting that
>>> displays the Power On screen.
>>
>> I've been trying different "F Keys" during boot-up. No luck. Still
>> can't get into BIOS or "HP Recovery."
>>
>> I'll keep trying.
>
> We had a recent poster, who couldn't trigger recovery (wipeout of C:),
> because of the keyboard itself. No F keys were being sent to the
> computer. A different keyboard fixed it.

I've got a NEW spare keyboard in my storage. I'll dig it out next time
back there. Thanks.