From: Jeff Strickland on

"UCLAN" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> That right click is on the Title Bar.
>>
>> You need to right click on the gray areas of the Menu Bar, or whichever
>> bar is exposed, anywhere that is not an icon or menu option. My screen
>> has two bars, Menu Bar and Command Bar. The Menu Bar takes the entire
>> screen, so if this bar is OFF, then you might only have one gray bar. The
>> Command Bar shares the right-hand end of the same bar that shows the tabs
>> and the Star icon that brings up the Favorites Menu. Since this bar
>> cannot be turned OFF, you have have at least one gray bar that you can
>> right click, and the select the Address Bar from the dropdown menu to
>> display the URL dropdown -- which is not a window, by the way.
>
> There are NO, I repeat NO, "bars" at the top of the screen. As I wrote,
> that
> area is transparent, showing the command bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) and
> the
> icons for SEND, CONTACTS, SPELL, etc., for the Thunderbird page previously
> open. Right clicking ANYWHERE on the top half of the IE8 page results in
> the
> close options (close, minimize, restore, etc.) I would attach a screen
> shot,
> but newsgroup rules frown upon such things.

I got yoru screen shot in my e-mail. For the benefit of those following
along in the pews, I'll try to restate my Reply to you ...

Your Menu Bar is missing, more currectly, the space is there but the bar
isn't.

There is a bug with IE8 that makes the menu and tool bars fill in black.
Yours is transparent, which is different and odd.

In any case, the fix for black tool bars and menu bars is to Right Click the
Desktop and choose Properties. Under the Appearance tab, select Windows XP
Style, and click OK. I never change the Theme, but when my machine made
black bars, my Theme was on Windows Classic, and the Appearance tab also was
set to Classic. I set the Appearance to XP Style, and the color came back to
the bars. I returned the setting to Classic Style and the color remained.

I have to wonder if your machine has gotten confused somewhere along the
way. If so, returning the Theme to Classic Style or XP Style and setting the
Appearance to match oughth to fix the trouble.

From: Jeff Strickland on
You sent me an e-mail with an invalid return address.

I suppose it's okay, except I spent the time to Reply to it and it bounced,
which means I wasted my time trying to help you.

From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> You sent me an e-mail with an invalid return address.
>
> I suppose it's okay, except I spent the time to Reply to it and it bounced,
> which means I wasted my time trying to help you.

Hmmm...don't know why it bounced. It was sent from my primary email account.
I send another and make sure the return address is valid.
From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>> There are NO, I repeat NO, "bars" at the top of the screen. As I wrote,
>> that area is transparent, showing the command bar (File, Edit, View,
>> etc.) and the icons for SEND, CONTACTS, SPELL, etc., for the Thunderbird
>> page previously open. Right clicking ANYWHERE on the top half of the IE8
>> page results in the close options (close, minimize, restore, etc.) I
>> would attach a screen shot, but newsgroup rules frown upon such things.
>
> I got yoru screen shot in my e-mail. For the benefit of those following
> along in the pews, I'll try to restate my Reply to you ...
>
> Your Menu Bar is missing, more currectly, the space is there but the bar
> isn't.
>
> There is a bug with IE8 that makes the menu and tool bars fill in black.
> Yours is transparent, which is different and odd.
>
> In any case, the fix for black tool bars and menu bars is to Right Click
> the Desktop and choose Properties. Under the Appearance tab, select Windows
> XP Style, and click OK. I never change the Theme, but when my machine made
> black bars, my Theme was on Windows Classic, and the Appearance tab also
> was set to Classic. I set the Appearance to XP Style, and the color came
> back to the bars. I returned the setting to Classic Style and the color
> remained.
>
> I have to wonder if your machine has gotten confused somewhere along the
> way. If so, returning the Theme to Classic Style or XP Style and setting
> the Appearance to match oughth to fix the trouble.

I tried that just now. All colors and fonts were changed, but URL area still
missing. My favorites, tools, help, etc., now comes up about half the time I
launch IE8, but still no URL area. New screen shot headed your way.
From: Jeff Strickland on

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>> There are NO, I repeat NO, "bars" at the top of the screen. As I wrote,
>>> that area is transparent, showing the command bar (File, Edit, View,
>>> etc.) and the icons for SEND, CONTACTS, SPELL, etc., for the Thunderbird
>>> page previously open. Right clicking ANYWHERE on the top half of the IE8
>>> page results in the close options (close, minimize, restore, etc.) I
>>> would attach a screen shot, but newsgroup rules frown upon such things.
>>
>> I got yoru screen shot in my e-mail. For the benefit of those following
>> along in the pews, I'll try to restate my Reply to you ...
>>
>> Your Menu Bar is missing, more currectly, the space is there but the bar
>> isn't.
>>
>> There is a bug with IE8 that makes the menu and tool bars fill in black.
>> Yours is transparent, which is different and odd.
>>
>> In any case, the fix for black tool bars and menu bars is to Right Click
>> the Desktop and choose Properties. Under the Appearance tab, select
>> Windows
>> XP Style, and click OK. I never change the Theme, but when my machine
>> made
>> black bars, my Theme was on Windows Classic, and the Appearance tab also
>> was set to Classic. I set the Appearance to XP Style, and the color came
>> back to the bars. I returned the setting to Classic Style and the color
>> remained.
>>
>> I have to wonder if your machine has gotten confused somewhere along the
>> way. If so, returning the Theme to Classic Style or XP Style and setting
>> the Appearance to match oughth to fix the trouble.
>
> I tried that just now. All colors and fonts were changed, but URL area
> still
> missing. My favorites, tools, help, etc., now comes up about half the time
> launch IE8, but still no URL area. New screen shot headed your way.

So, NOW you can right click on the right hand side of the Menu Bar and
select the items you want exposed. You are looking for the Address Bar.

Also, do your right click on the upper of the two menu bars because the
lower one is supposed to display a Star at the very far left end which is
used to open the Favorites Menu. You can see what happens when you right
click on this line (the same thing that happens when you right click on the
upper line should happen). The lower bar also houses the Command Bar
features when the Command Bar is enabled, which by the screen shot you sent
me it is not enabled.

I suggest you reboot your machine too.

I don't know why you have the Menu Bar showing twice. When you right click
the upper bar, and make selections from the drop down box that opens, I
think the bars will fix themselves. I'd select all of the options that
appear, then turn them off as you see that they are and decide that you
don't want them.

PS
It's the Menu Bar that says FILE, EDIT, VIEW, FAVORITES, TOOLS, and HELP.
The narrow one is correct (the one on the top), the wider one (on the
bottom) is false -- it should not have the menu options shown on it.

PPS
For those following along at home -- he sent me a screen shot that has IE
showing with the Menu Bar correct, plus the bar below that normally shows
the tabs and the Gold Star is filled with the Menu Bar options a second
time. The size of the erroneous tool bar is correct, but the contents are
wrong.