From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>> I got yoru screen shot in my e-mail. For the benefit of those following
>>> along in the pews, I'll try to restate my Reply to you ...
>>>
>>> Your Menu Bar is missing, more currectly, the space is there but the
>>> bar isn't.
>>>
>>> There is a bug with IE8 that makes the menu and tool bars fill in
>>> black. Yours is transparent, which is different and odd.
>>>
>>> In any case, the fix for black tool bars and menu bars is to Right
>>> Click the Desktop and choose Properties. Under the Appearance tab,
>>> select Windows XP Style, and click OK. I never change the Theme, but
>>> when my machine made black bars, my Theme was on Windows Classic, and
>>> the Appearance tab also was set to Classic. I set the Appearance to XP
>>> Style, and the color came back to the bars. I returned the setting to
>>> Classic Style and the color remained.
>>>
>>> I have to wonder if your machine has gotten confused somewhere along
>>> the way. If so, returning the Theme to Classic Style or XP Style and
>>> setting the Appearance to match oughth to fix the trouble.
>>
>> I tried that just now. All colors and fonts were changed, but URL area
>> still missing. My favorites, tools, help, etc., now comes up about half
>> the time I launch IE8, but still no URL area. New screen shot headed your
>> way.
>
> So, NOW you can right click on the right hand side of the Menu Bar and
> select the items you want exposed. You are looking for the Address Bar.

Well, still no luck. Right clicking ANYWHERE on top half of the screen
results in "close" menu (close, minimize, restore, etc.) BTW, the MENU bar
showed up BEFORE I tried changing APPEARANCE to WINDOWS XP. It appeared
after I tried opening and closing IE8 about a half dozen times. It's gone
this morning. Can't get it to come back. Frustrating. Firefox is so easy.
I'll try playing with it later.
From: UCLAN on
UCLAN wrote:

>>> I tried that just now. All colors and fonts were changed, but URL
>>> area still missing. My favorites, tools, help, etc., now comes up
>>> about half
>>> the time I launch IE8, but still no URL area. New screen shot headed
>>> your
>>> way.
>>
>> So, NOW you can right click on the right hand side of the Menu Bar and
>> select the items you want exposed. You are looking for the Address Bar.
>
> Well, still no luck. Right clicking ANYWHERE on top half of the screen
> results in "close" menu (close, minimize, restore, etc.) BTW, the MENU bar
> showed up BEFORE I tried changing APPEARANCE to WINDOWS XP. It appeared
> after I tried opening and closing IE8 about a half dozen times. It's gone
> this morning. Can't get it to come back. Frustrating. Firefox is so easy.
> I'll try playing with it later.

Well, I left it alone for over a week. Now, URL "drop down" window is there
when I open IE8, and right clicking in upper gray area gives me tool bar
options. I changed nothing. Other system intermittents also seem to have
disappeared. Go figure...

Screen shot headed your way.