From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> Well, TBird has F Key functions that you can use to test the operation of
> the F Keys. I'm trying to understand if your keyboard is on the fritz. Using
> any Windows application will provide a test bed for the F Keys. F1 is access
> to the Help menu. F3 should invoke the Find feature. F7 starts SpellCheck.
> F5 will Refresh the browser. You can test the F Keys from within Outlook
> Express or Tbird.

F-keys seem to work in other applications. It's only during boot-up that
I'm having F-key problems.

> PS
> Firefox is a browser, like Internet Explorer is a browser. Thunderbird is an
> e-mail client, like Outlook Express is an e-mail client. You control Full
> Screen with the F11 Key. Full Screen will toggle off and on with each press
> of F11.

I was thinking Firefox, but typed Thunderbird. Not the first/last time I
get those two reversed. I discovered the F-11 toggle. But with the URL
window and other items missing, IE8 is of no use to me anyway.

Any idea why the URL window (and things such as favorites, etc.) is missing
from the IE8 screen?
From: Jeff Strickland on

"UCLAN" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> Well, TBird has F Key functions that you can use to test the operation of
>> the F Keys. I'm trying to understand if your keyboard is on the fritz.
>> Using any Windows application will provide a test bed for the F Keys. F1
>> is access to the Help menu. F3 should invoke the Find feature. F7 starts
>> SpellCheck. F5 will Refresh the browser. You can test the F Keys from
>> within Outlook Express or Tbird.
>
> F-keys seem to work in other applications. It's only during boot-up that
> I'm having F-key problems.

Having F Key problems when only one of them is intended to work is probably
not a problem. The window of opportunity for using the right key at the
right time is very small.

>> PS
>> Firefox is a browser, like Internet Explorer is a browser. Thunderbird is
>> an e-mail client, like Outlook Express is an e-mail client. You control
>> Full Screen with the F11 Key. Full Screen will toggle off and on with
>> each press of F11.
>
> I was thinking Firefox, but typed Thunderbird. Not the first/last time I
> get those two reversed. I discovered the F-11 toggle. But with the URL
> window and other items missing, IE8 is of no use to me anyway.
>
> Any idea why the URL window (and things such as favorites, etc.) is
> missing
> from the IE8 screen?

Right Click on the menu bars at the top of the screen, but not on a menu
item or icon, and a list of display options should appear. Select the stuff
you want displayed.

From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>Any idea why the URL window (and things such as favorites, etc.) is
>>missing
>>from the IE8 screen?
>
> Right Click on the menu bars at the top of the screen, but not on a menu
> item or icon, and a list of display options should appear. Select the stuff
> you want displayed.

Nope. Upper part of the IE8 screen is transparent (T-Bird app behind it is
visable.) A right click anywhere up there gives me the normal "close,
minimize, restore, etc., options.

Very strange....
From: Jeff Strickland on

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>>Any idea why the URL window (and things such as favorites, etc.) is
>>>missing
>>>from the IE8 screen?
>>
>> Right Click on the menu bars at the top of the screen, but not on a menu
>> item or icon, and a list of display options should appear. Select the
>> stuff you want displayed.
>
> Nope. Upper part of the IE8 screen is transparent (T-Bird app behind it is
> visable.) A right click anywhere up there gives me the normal "close,
> minimize, restore, etc., options.
>
> Very strange....

That right click is on the Title Bar.

You need to right click on the gray areas of the Menu Bar, or whichever bar
is exposed, anywhere that is not an icon or menu option. My screen has two
bars, Menu Bar and Command Bar. The Menu Bar takes the entire screen, so if
this bar is OFF, then you might only have one gray bar. The Command Bar
shares the right-hand end of the same bar that shows the tabs and the Star
icon that brings up the Favorites Menu. Since this bar cannot be turned OFF,
you have have at least one gray bar that you can right click, and the select
the Address Bar from the dropdown menu to display the URL dropdown -- which
is not a window, by the way.

From: UCLAN on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> That right click is on the Title Bar.
>
> You need to right click on the gray areas of the Menu Bar, or whichever bar
> is exposed, anywhere that is not an icon or menu option. My screen has two
> bars, Menu Bar and Command Bar. The Menu Bar takes the entire screen, so if
> this bar is OFF, then you might only have one gray bar. The Command Bar
> shares the right-hand end of the same bar that shows the tabs and the Star
> icon that brings up the Favorites Menu. Since this bar cannot be turned OFF,
> you have have at least one gray bar that you can right click, and the select
> the Address Bar from the dropdown menu to display the URL dropdown -- which
> is not a window, by the way.

There are NO, I repeat NO, "bars" at the top of the screen. As I wrote, that
area is transparent, showing the command bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) and the
icons for SEND, CONTACTS, SPELL, etc., for the Thunderbird page previously
open. Right clicking ANYWHERE on the top half of the IE8 page results in the
close options (close, minimize, restore, etc.) I would attach a screen shot,
but newsgroup rules frown upon such things.