From: MM on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:45:01 -0000, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>> I don't do *organised* fun. I get pleasure from watching a
>> blackbird eat the bread I put out, or from vapour trails in a
>> cloudless blue sky, or from eating tasty food, or from reading
>> a gripping novel. I certainly don't need games to derive
>> pleasure out of life.
>
>. . . but you need a gripping novel?

Not a game.

MM
From: MM on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:46:23 -0600, "Ralph"
<nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mike Williams wrote:
>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>> I don't do *organised* fun. I get pleasure from watching a
>>> blackbird eat the bread I put out, or from vapour trails in a
>>> cloudless blue sky, or from eating tasty food, or from reading
>>> a gripping novel. I certainly don't need games to derive
>>> pleasure out of life.
>>
>> . . . but you need a gripping novel?
>>

>Yeah. I was expecting "... quiet walks on the beach."

I do sometimes visit the Wash, which is only about 2 miles distant. No
beach to walk along though! Just along the top of the Old Sea Bank (we
are below sea level here).

MM
From: Mike Williams on

>>. . . [Mike said] but you need a gripping novel?
>
> [MM said] Not a game.

That's okay. If you don't like games then that's fine with me. Personally I
don't *need* either a game or a "gripping novel", although I do sometimes
enjoy the former, at least if it's one that I happen to like. My game and
your own "gripping novel" are both forms of temporary escape from the real
world. In that respect they both serve a useful purpose :-)

Mike

From: mayayana on

> My game and
> your own "gripping novel" are both forms of
> temporary escape from the real
> world. In that respect they both serve a useful purpose :-)

Food for thought: I once heard that the Coca-Cola
Co. had taken the liberty of using the Dalai Lama
on their billboards in India. The caption read, "When
the Dalai Lama needs a break he drinks Coke." When
the Dalai Lama was informed of this, he laughed and
asked, "a break from what?".

From: Mike Williams on
"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message

> Food for thought: I once heard that the Coca-Cola
> Co. had taken the liberty of using the Dalai Lama
> on their billboards in India. The caption read, "When
> the Dalai Lama needs a break he drinks Coke." When
> the Dalai Lama was informed of this, he laughed and
> asked, "a break from what?".

Food for thought indeed. It would appear that the Dalai Lama would never
feel inclined to read one of MM's gripping novels . . . or indeed to play
one of my little computer games. He apparently has no need of a break from
the rigours of daily life, unlike many of his subjects of course, who had no
option but to remain living in danger and mostly in abject poverty in Tibet
whilst the Dalai Lama left them to their fate and ran away to a life of
relative safety and luxury, where he has remained for the last fifty years.
The Dalai Lama might have the luxury of implying he never needs a break from
the realities of life, but the poor people he claims to rule over certainly
do (although I would have thought something better than Coke would be called
for!).

Mike