From: Ralph on
MM wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:46:23 -0600, "Ralph"
> <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I do sometimes visit the Wash, which is only about 2 miles distant. No
> beach to walk along though! Just along the top of the Old Sea Bank (we
> are below sea level here).

I remember the Wash, it immediately brought back memories of various old
movies filmed there. Much the same thing happens when I visit New York or
San Francisco. I get as much kick out of the 'movie locals' as I do the
'general attractions'.

-ralph

From: Ralph on
Mike Williams wrote:
> "mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message
>
>> Food for thought: I once heard that the Coca-Cola
>> Co. had taken the liberty of using the Dalai Lama
>> on their billboards in India. The caption read, "When
>> the Dalai Lama needs a break he drinks Coke." When
>> the Dalai Lama was informed of this, he laughed and
>> asked, "a break from what?".
>
> Food for thought indeed. It would appear that the Dalai Lama would
> never feel inclined to read one of MM's gripping novels . . . or
> indeed to play one of my little computer games. He apparently has no
> need of a break from the rigours of daily life, unlike many of his
> subjects of course, who had no option but to remain living in danger
> and mostly in abject poverty in Tibet whilst the Dalai Lama left them
> to their fate and ran away to a life of relative safety and luxury,
> where he has remained for the last fifty years. The Dalai Lama might
> have the luxury of implying he never needs a break from the realities
> of life, but the poor people he claims to rule over certainly do
> (although I would have thought something better than Coke would be
> called for!).

LOL

Don't look now, but your red petticoat is showing.

-ralph

From: mayayana on

> LOL
>
> Don't look now, but your red petticoat is showing.

? Is that a reference to the British disdain
toward the various peoples who haven't welcomed
their empire?

I suppose that if the Tibetans had welcomed the
British then the Chinese wouldn't have invaded, there
would have been no genocide, and Tibetans could
live happily ever after serving tea to tourists, working
as Dell helpdesk technicians, and killing the boredom
by playing GTA4. :)

From: Ralph on
mayayana wrote:
>> LOL
>>
>> Don't look now, but your red petticoat is showing.
>>

> ? Is that a reference to the British disdain
> toward the various peoples who haven't welcomed
> their empire?

Nope, a reference to 'flaming' marxism. <g>

> I suppose that if the Tibetans had welcomed the
> British then the Chinese wouldn't have invaded, there
> would have been no genocide, and Tibetans could
> live happily ever after serving tea to tourists, working
> as Dell helpdesk technicians, and killing the boredom
> by playing GTA4. :)

Nope. Genocide was only necessary because the Tibetans, out of ignorance,
stubbornly maintain an allegiance to an exiled fatcat and refuse to accept
the liberation efforts of their new masters.

-ralph

From: Mike Williams on

>> Don't look now, but your red petticoat is showing.
>>

> ? Is that a reference to the British disdain
> toward the various peoples who haven't welcomed
> their empire?

I don't feel any disdain for the various people who have not in the past
welcomed the British Empire. In fact I don't hold with countries building
their little empires at the expense of the rest of the world. I think it was
wrong of us to build our so called British Empire in the first place and I'm
happy that we have already given most of it back (or in many cases had it
taken away) and I think America would be wise to start to do the same with
their own American Empire, before the Chinese take it from them ;-)

In fact I was atually commenting on your suggestion that the Dalai Lama
feels he has has no need for a break from the rigours of daily life and I
was pointing out that he certainly should not have such a need since it was
he who ran away from the Chinese into a personal life of safety and luxury,
leaving his poor and impoverished people to their fate. I was merely making
the comment that it is the poor impoverished people he left behind who could
do with a break from the rigours of daily life, not the Dalia Lama who has
for the past fifty years been living in luxury partly at their expense.

Mike