From: MM on
On Dec 10 2009, 11:29 am, MM <kylix...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:17:25 +0100, "Hans" <n...(a)spam.com> wrote:
> >I am sorry.
>
> No need! ;)
>

> >I looked at the code on the CD and it holds the complete examples that are
> >listed in the book. IMHO You don't need the CD; You can find just as good
> >(or better) examples on the web.
>
> Well, I already have loads of VB and other programming books (about
> 150 the last time I counted, going right back to TRS-80 Assembly
> Language Programming), but I'm always interested in reading other
> books on the subject. From what I've seen in the excerpts available
> Ken Getz's/Mike Gilbert's contributions were very well received. Also,
> in the past hour I've become aware of yet another book from the same
> stable, namely Visual Basic Language Developer'sHandbook, thanks to
> that link from Tony Toews to the Wayback Machine archive.
>
> MM

Follow-up January 2010: I have finally found a used copy via Amazon
Marketplace for £4, which arrived this morning in very good condition,
though minus the CD, which I knew already was missing. This is the
"Visual Basic Language Developer's Handbook" as opposed to the "VBA
Developer's Handbook", however the contents appear to be identical.

It is a very useful reference to VB6 and VBA.

What Sybex appear to have done back in 2000 is take the entire "VBA D.
H." and stick a new cover around it and sell it as "Visual Basic
Language D. H."!

May have sold some more copies, I suppose!

MM
From: Mike Williams on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Follow-up January 2010: I have finally found a used
> copy via Amazon Marketplace for �4, which arrived
> this morning in very good condition, though minus the
> CD, which I knew already was missing. This is the
> "Visual Basic Language Developer's Handbook" as
> opposed to the "VBA Developer's Handbook",
> however the contents appear to be identical.
> It is a very useful reference to VB6 and VBA.

Yes, but instead of reading programming books all the time, this is what you
should be doing:

http://machinarium.net/demo/

Brilliantly enjoyable. A simple but beautifully engineered Flash game
created by a true artist, rather than a programmer :-)

Mike

From: Dee Earley on
On 22/01/2010 13:34, Mike Williams wrote:
> Yes, but instead of reading programming books all the time, this is what
> you should be doing:
>
> http://machinarium.net/demo/
>
> Brilliantly enjoyable. A simple but beautifully engineered Flash game
> created by a true artist, rather than a programmer :-)

Well, that's the rest of my day gone...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: MM on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:34:42 -0000, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Follow-up January 2010: I have finally found a used
>> copy via Amazon Marketplace for �4, which arrived
>> this morning in very good condition, though minus the
>> CD, which I knew already was missing. This is the
>> "Visual Basic Language Developer's Handbook" as
>> opposed to the "VBA Developer's Handbook",
>> however the contents appear to be identical.
>> It is a very useful reference to VB6 and VBA.
>
>Yes, but instead of reading programming books all the time, this is what you
>should be doing:
>
> http://machinarium.net/demo/

I never play computer games. They bore me to tears.

MM
From: Mike Williams on

> I never play computer games. They bore me to tears.

I'm like that with real games . . . football, basketball, etc, etc. They
bore me to tears. But computer games are different. Many are rubbish of
course, but some of them are great fun :-) Do you remember fun?

Mike