From: Schmidt on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I don't think the Dalai Lama interpreted it as psychosis on his part when
he
> took a break from the realities of living in Tibet and when he ran away
and
> left his poor impoverished people, of whom he was supposed to be the
> spiritual leader and head of state, to their fate at the hands of the
> thoroughly nasty Chinese. He simply ran away to take a break in another
> country, where he lived and where he continues to live a life of luxury
for
> more than fifty years whilst the poor impoverished Tibetan people he
> abandoned and of whom he still continues to regard himself as the
spiritual
> leader suffer the fate imposed on them by their new and nasty Chinese
> masters :-) The Dalai Lama certainly seemed to think that he needed a
break
> then!

Have seen him in a few "talk-shows" some while ago -
and I'm basically with you.
He definitely could have made more out of his
"symbol status" he apparently "owns" - if one
compares that for example with what e.g. Ghandi
has accomplished in his lifetime, then - well,
"there certainly could have been a bit more" ... IMO -
but then, who are we, to judge... (back to my
open VB6-IDE...). ;-)

Olaf

From: mayayana on

> He definitely could have made more out of his
> "symbol status" he apparently "owns" - if one
> compares that for example with what e.g. Ghandi
> has accomplished in his lifetime, then - well,
> "there certainly could have been a bit more"

And who would listen? It's an interesting issue
in light of last week's events, where Hillary Clinton
is threatening to get annoyed and Google is
threatening to get morals if China doesn't stop
stealing American IP.

China has become an elephant in the room. They
lend us money to buy their cheap goods, made by
peasants under a post-modern monarchy who live
by the millions in labor camps. So far none of us has
really complained about that. "Briliant thinkers"
like Thomas Friedman of the NYT -- with his bestseller
books -- cast China's as being some kind of miracle
of capitalism triumphing over evil, with a vast new
consumer market just around the corner.

Now China's building a Tibet Branch of their industrial
machine, in a country that never forged diplomatic ties
before they were invaded. So who is going to stick their
neck out for the Dalai Lama? What can he really do?
Threaten to stop buying Nikes?

From: Schmidt on

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > He definitely could have made more out of his
> > "symbol status" he apparently "owns" - if one
> > compares that for example with what e.g. Ghandi
> > has accomplished in his lifetime, then - well,
> > "there certainly could have been a bit more"
>
> And who would listen? ...
> China has become an elephant in the room...

Agreed - it's not that "easy" as in old india - where
"the empire" had to face hundreds of millions of
people, who stood behind their peaceful leader
(as something like a "not that peaceful promise",
should Ghandis pacifistic way not work, or
"something else" happen to him).

The situation in (much smaller) Tibet is an entirely
different one of course - and the "chinese leadership"
will certainly behave not that "gentlemen-like" (in the
"open for reasoning"-sense, after some time and
pressure) as the british establishment in old india did
(after some struggling).

Maybe I just missed some *passion* in the man,
when I watched him, heard him talk - there was
just ... nothing, no inspiration - dunno if these are the
higher blessings of buddhistic wisdom and belief, but
his acting (at least from what I've seen personally)
came across much too "passive" for my taste.

Olaf