From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per AdeW:
>I have a Technika H38FE2 wireless USB keyboard and mouse.
>
>In the instructions it says: "Ensure the PC is switched off. Plug the
>receiver into the USB port. ... Restart the PC"
>
>I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
>switched on right?

I have a few of Microsoft's wireless keyboard/mouse combos.

I also have an MS "Arc Mouse" for my laptop.

No problem hot-swapping any of them.

Windows XP.
--
PeteCresswell
From: kony on
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:58:36 -0800 (PST), AdeW
<adnw14(a)live.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a Technika H38FE2 wireless USB keyboard and mouse.
>
>In the instructions it says: "Ensure the PC is switched off. Plug the
>receiver into the USB port. ... Restart the PC"
>
>I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
>switched on right?

They just tell you the most simple, single way to do it. It
doesn't mean it can't be hot-swapped, though as someone
mentioned if you had no keyboard installed you need the PC
to reset to detect a USB keyboard is present for bios
emulation, in case you need that before windows boots which
many people would even if they aren't making bios changes,
because you may need it during the OS install.
From: AdeW on
On 5 Dec, 01:06, "(PeteCresswell)" <x...(a)y.Invalid> wrote:
> I have a few of Microsoft'swirelesskeyboard/mouse combos.
>
> I also have an MS "Arc Mouse" for my laptop.
>
> No problem hot-swapping any of them.
>
> Windows XP.
> --
Are they all USB? none of them PS/2?

PS/2 isn't hot swappable is it?

The instructions also say "Windows 2000/XP/Vista: You do not need to
install software for operation of the mouse and keyboard."

I'd have thought it was for installing any software drivers - you're
told not to have any other programs running - but if you've Win2000
and above I can't see why you can't plug the keyboard in while the
computer is on.

Here's a weblink to see the keyboard.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3676.aspx
From: Marcus Houlden on
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> I have a Technika H38FE2 wireless USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> In the instructions it says: "Ensure the PC is switched off. Plug the
> receiver into the USB port. ... Restart the PC"
>
> I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
> switched on right?

They can, but sometimes for the initial install you need to reboot.

Why not just follow the instructions? Sounds like you might be making this a
bit more complicated than it needs to be.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
From: DevilsPGD on
In message
<b7b51ce3-6d0b-4552-b89b-beee97ce52ee(a)j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> AdeW
<adnw14(a)live.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:

>On 5 Dec, 01:06, "(PeteCresswell)" <x...(a)y.Invalid> wrote:
>> I have a few of Microsoft'swirelesskeyboard/mouse combos.
>>
>> I also have an MS "Arc Mouse" for my laptop.
>>
>> No problem hot-swapping any of them.
>>
>> Windows XP.
>> --
>Are they all USB? none of them PS/2?
>
>PS/2 isn't hot swappable is it?

Officially no, although in practice 99% of the time you won't fry
anything.

Once in a while, you will, such is the perils of hot-connecting an
interface not designed for it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Looking for a new video card