From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 21:41:41 -0500, AdeW <adnw14(a)live.co.uk> wrote:

> So in other words what you're saying is the PC would have to be
> restarted if the keyboard was plugged while Windows was running.

My reading of all of the responses, is to just try it. If the
bios and drivers support hot swapping, it will work. If they
don't, it won't. Either way, there should be no damage done.
In most cases, it will work, but with some hardware/software,
it will not. Easiest way is to find out, is to just try it.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:58:36 -0500, AdeW <adnw14(a)live.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
> switched on right?

Most can, even if the manufacturer chooses to cover their butts
in the documentation, to handle those few systems where this
will not work due to old/strange usb controllers.

In many cases, such as printers and scanners, you're specifically
told not to connect it until after installing the supplied
drivers, to prevent windows from selecting some default driver.

Just try it, and see if it works.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: AdeW on
On 6 Dec, 16:53, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:58:36 -0500, AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
> > I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
> > switched on right?
>
> Most can, even if the manufacturer chooses to cover their butts
> in the documentation, to handle those few systems where this
> will not work due to old/strange usb controllers.
>
> In many cases, such as printers and scanners, you're specifically
> told not to connect it until after installing the supplied
> drivers, to prevent windows from selecting some default driver.
>
> Just try it, and see if it works.

I will try the wireless keyboard on a newer (someone else's) computer
first.

Infact at the public libary when i've plugged in a camera it says I
need to be an administrator to install hardware, but USB memory sticks
work fine.

The instructions say "Windows 2000/XP/Vista: You do not need to
install software for operation of the mouse and keyboard." Since
public library PCs are WinXP I presume it should work just like a
memory stick and not need to install software hopefully.
From: AdeW on
On 5 Dec, 02:54, Marcus Houlden <s...(a)nukesoft.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:58:36 -0800 (PST), AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk>
> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
>
> > I have a Technika H38FE2 wireless USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> > In the instructions it says: "Ensure the PC is switched off. Plug the
> > receiver into the USB port. ... Restart the PC"
>
> > I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
> > switched on right?
>
> They can, but sometimes for the initial install you need to reboot.
>
> Why not just follow the instructions? Sounds like you might be making this a
> bit more complicated than it needs to be.
>
> mh.
> --http://www.nukesoft.co.ukhttp://personal.nukesoft.co.uk
>
> From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

At home I'm using a Win98SE machine (had all its connectors taken off
for over year and half and sat unused) which when i first started
using it this year the PS/2 keyboard didn't work at boot so I swapped
it for another ps/2 keyboard which didn't work, so i bought this usb
keyboard, then i got the ps/2 keyboard working again after swapping
back and removing the mouse etc, so then i wondered could i have
mistakenly put the keyboard into the mouse port the first time, I can
never be certain. Should've took a photo.

There has been the a time when my keyboard has stopped working but
only for a few seconds. Must worse is when mouse is behaving
erratically going off in funny directions that i have to restart
Windows - so that would mean its a software problem and not hardware
hopefully. Also when the mouse has misbehaved the return key esd not
working when i press Start then key "u" then attempt to press return,
so then i press Alt F4 to restart my computer.
From: AdeW on
On 5 Dec, 02:54, Marcus Houlden <s...(a)nukesoft.co.uk> wrote:
> > I thought all USB devices can be plugged in while the computer is
> > switched on right?
>
> They can, but sometimes for the initial install you need to reboot.
>
> Why not just follow the instructions? Sounds like you might be making this a
> bit more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm using a Win98SE machine (had all its connectors taken off for over
year and sat unused) which when i first started using it this year the
PS/2 keyboard didn't work at boot (so couldn't get past scandisk) so I
swapped it for another ps/2 keyboard which didn't work, so i bought
this usb keyboard.

Then i got the ps/2 keyboard working again after swapping back and
removing the mouse etc, so then i wondered could i have mistakenly put
the keyboard into the mouse port the first time, I can never be
certain.

Should've took a photo.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7