From: AdeW on
On 5 Dec, 03:55, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> No, wrong,notALLUSBdevices arehot swappable.  ButUSBkeyboards
> are.  However, if aUSBkeyboardisnotplugged in when the system is
> powered up, some BIOS' willnotsubsequently recognize one if it is
> plugged in later.  It depends on the bios, and, also, on some of the
> settings inside the bios to enable/disableUSBkeyboards (this is bios
> and therefore motherboard dependent).
>
> MOSTUSBdevices arehot swappable.

I've bought a *wireless* USB keyboard.

Is it the fact that it has a wireless infra red receiver that makes it
not hot swappable?

The keyboard itself doesn't even physically touch the PC.
From: Barry Watzman on
It is not a recommendation, it is a statement of fact.

From: Barry Watzman on
The fact that it's wireless is almost irrelevant, but if you do plug it
in after the PC is up, you may have to hit a reset button (may have
other names) on both the keyboard itself and the wireless receiver
(which, by the way, may be either infra-red or RF).

From: kony on
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:30:39 -0800 (PST), AdeW
<adnw14(a)live.co.uk> wrote:

>On 5 Dec, 03:55, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>> No, wrong,notALLUSBdevices arehot swappable. �ButUSBkeyboards
>> are. �However, if aUSBkeyboardisnotplugged in when the system is
>> powered up, some BIOS' willnotsubsequently recognize one if it is
>> plugged in later. �It depends on the bios, and, also, on some of the
>> settings inside the bios to enable/disableUSBkeyboards (this is bios
>> and therefore motherboard dependent).
>>
>> MOSTUSBdevices arehot swappable.
>
>I've bought a *wireless* USB keyboard.
>
>Is it the fact that it has a wireless infra red receiver that makes it
>not hot swappable?
>
>The keyboard itself doesn't even physically touch the PC.

Generally a wireless keyboard has a microcontroller in it's
base receiver that makes the system think there is a
keyboard even if the physical keyboard isn't present at all,
so yes it should be fully hot swappable within the
limitations we've already mentioned, that if the bios needs
to detect it prior to drivers loading, it would need plugged
in when the system enumerates the hardware after POST.
From: AdeW on
On 5 Dec, 19:59, kony <s...(a)spam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:30:39 -0800 (PST), AdeW
>

> <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
> >On 5 Dec, 03:55, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> >> No, wrong,notALLUSBdevices arehot swappable.  ButUSBkeyboards
> >> are.  However, if aUSBkeyboardisnotplugged in when the system is
> >> powered up, some BIOS' willnotsubsequently recognize one if it is
> >> plugged in later.  It depends on the bios, and, also, on some of the
> >> settings inside the bios to enable/disableUSBkeyboards (this is bios
> >> and therefore motherboard dependent).
>
> >> MOSTUSBdevices arehot swappable.
>
> >I've bought a *wireless* USB keyboard.
>
> >Is it the fact that it has a wireless infra red receiver that makes it
> >not hot swappable?
>
> >The keyboard itself doesn't even physically touch the PC.
>
> Generally a wireless keyboard has a microcontroller in it's
> base receiver that makes the system think there is a
> keyboard even if the physical keyboard isn't present at all,
> so yes it should be fully hot swappable within the
> limitations we've already mentioned, that if the bios needs
> to detect it prior to drivers loading, it would need plugged
> in when the system enumerates the hardware after POST.- Hide quoted text -

So in other words what you're saying is the PC would have to be
restarted if the keyboard was plugged while Windows was running.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Looking for a new video card
Next: P5Q Premium bios chip