From: Jim on

news:hsCei.4847$AR5.3562(a)trnddc06...
> From: "Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com>
>

> | A quick search for "ole16.dll" reveals that malware replaces the
> ole16.dll
> | (which is needed by Windows) with a file of the same name but is
> malware.
> | The malware also makes some registry changes which also need to be
> | corrected. Thus, there is more to removal than merely deleting the
> | file.
> |
> | The OP should search the internet for much more comprehensive
> information.
> |
> | Jim
> |

> If McAfee removed this file in a Safe Mode scan then the Registry changes
> *may* have already
> been made.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

My reply was predicated on the assumption that the registry changes were not
fixed. The OP should investigate this issue.
You know McAfee is famous for the things that it should do but doesn't.
Jim

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com>

| My reply was predicated on the assumption that the registry changes were not
| fixed. The OP should investigate this issue.
| You know McAfee is famous for the things that it should do but doesn't.
| Jim

Having used McAfee for many years (v7.1E on this PC) I don't know that.

From: foghollow on
In article <qoFei.5271$tI5.3930(a)trnddc08>,
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
> From: "Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com>
>

> | My reply was predicated on the assumption that the registry changes were not
> | fixed. The OP should investigate this issue.
> | You know McAfee is famous for the things that it should do but doesn't.
> | Jim
> |

> Having used McAfee for many years (v7.1E on this PC) I don't know that.

You haven't gone to 8.0 or 8.5? They seem OK to me.

[enterprise versions, people - we all know about the non-corporate ones not being too
good]
--
Snob? Were I a snob, I wouldn't be talking to you.
From: Roman King on
I am very disappointed to see that McAfee did not catch ole16.dll malware.
I found that the presence of malware ole.16.dll did not affecting computing
at all.
But its removal causes an enormous havoc on my computers.
No more McAfee on my computers. This is enough.

BTW, this is what I solved the problem.
I have a month old mirror image of C-partition (backed up using Acronis True
Image).
I deleted the infected C-partition and restored the old C-partition.
Bingo. Everything looked fine.
I installed AVG. It did not see the presence of the malware ole16.dll in
my computers.
BTW, without the Acronis True Image backup, I might be forced to re-format
and re-install the whole C-drive.

Now, I am very happy with AVG.

Regards,

Roman

From: jen on
"Roman King" <machocraig(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am very disappointed to see that McAfee did not catch ole16.dll
>malware.
> I found that the presence of malware ole.16.dll did not affecting
> computing at all.
> But its removal causes an enormous havoc on my computers.
> No more McAfee on my computers. This is enough.
>
> BTW, this is what I solved the problem.
> I have a month old mirror image of C-partition (backed up using
> Acronis True Image).
> I deleted the infected C-partition and restored the old C-partition.
> Bingo. Everything looked fine.
> I installed AVG. It did not see the presence of the malware
> ole16.dll in my computers.
> BTW, without the Acronis True Image backup, I might be forced to
> re-format and re-install the whole C-drive.
>
> Now, I am very happy with AVG.

Your situation is discussed on the McAfee forum here:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=481605&sid=f410b5c47f5960fc04380ab83d617649

-jen

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5