From: David H. Lipman on
From: "foghollow" <dave(a)davebudd.org.ku>

| In article <qoFei.5271$tI5.3930(a)trnddc08>,
| DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
>> From: "Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com>
>>
|>> My reply was predicated on the assumption that the registry changes were not
|>> fixed. The OP should investigate this issue.
|>> You know McAfee is famous for the things that it should do but doesn't.
|>> Jim
|>>
>> Having used McAfee for many years (v7.1E on this PC) I don't know that.
>>
| You haven't gone to 8.0 or 8.5? They seem OK to me.
|
| [enterprise versions, people - we all know about the non-corporate ones not being too
| good]

I have 8.5i but I have not instralled it on this PC yet.
I have installed v8.0i and enjoyed it on the platforms it was installed on.

I also agree... the McAfee retail version S U C K !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Jim on

"Roman King" <machocraig(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am very disappointed to see that McAfee did not catch ole16.dll malware.
> I found that the presence of malware ole.16.dll did not affecting
> computing at all.
> But its removal causes an enormous havoc on my computers.
> No more McAfee on my computers. This is enough.
>
> BTW, this is what I solved the problem.
> I have a month old mirror image of C-partition (backed up using Acronis
> True Image).
> I deleted the infected C-partition and restored the old C-partition.
> Bingo. Everything looked fine.
> I installed AVG. It did not see the presence of the malware ole16.dll in
> my computers.
> BTW, without the Acronis True Image backup, I might be forced to re-format
> and re-install the whole C-drive.
>
> Now, I am very happy with AVG.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roman

I stated that ole16.dll can be a valid Windows file. However, there is no
ole16.dll in the system32 folder on my computers.
Ole16.dll may be a valid file on Windows 9x; I neither know nor care.
I also cast aspersions toward McAfee; I have only used the retail version,
and I will not retract what I wrote.
Jim

From: Virus Guy on
Jim wrote:

> Ole16.dll may be a valid file on Windows 9x;

There is an Ole32.dll on win-98 systems, but no Ole16.dll.

> I neither know nor care.

Well alrighty then.
From: Roman on
It took me two weeks to control ole16.dll virus problem.
I tried LiveCare, Norton 360, Avira, and McAfee VirusScan Pro.
None of them removed ole16.dll malware, which forced me to reformat and
reinstall my computer.
Finally, I found that AVG7.5 was the king of AV.
This program neutralized ole16.dll.
Now, I am at peace after wasting my money for these untrustworthy software.

Roman

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Roman" <machocraig(a)hotmail.com>

| It took me two weeks to control ole16.dll virus problem.
| I tried LiveCare, Norton 360, Avira, and McAfee VirusScan Pro.
| None of them removed ole16.dll malware, which forced me to reformat and
| reinstall my computer.
| Finally, I found that AVG7.5 was the king of AV.
| This program neutralized ole16.dll.
| Now, I am at peace after wasting my money for these untrustworthy software.
|
| Roman

There are MANY ways to deal with DLL files that load under the OS. The problem is that if
the OS loads the DLL at an early stage and close to the Kernel, their File Handles can be
held open and thus making it difficult to remove. Some may even protect the Registry key
they are loaded under such that you can stop the DLL from being loaded. However there steps
that can be taken to remove a DLL or a rooted DLL. First there is Safe Mode. Then there's
Safe Mode with Command Prompt and also Recovery Console. Different ACV programs may handle
the way a DLL is loaded different. There are ways to deal with such malware that does NOT
require wiping the PC and re-installing the OS.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last