From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> There are ways to deal with such malware that does NOT
> require wiping the PC and re-installing the OS.

1) remove the hard drive and slave it to another machine where you
will have complete access to the files on the drive and remove them
without interference.

2) If the OS is XP, format the drive as FAT-32 prior to installing the
OS and give yourself the ability to boot a proper command shell from a
floppy drive (ie - dos) and remove the offending files that way.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
>> There are ways to deal with such malware that does NOT
>> require wiping the PC and re-installing the OS.
|
| 1) remove the hard drive and slave it to another machine where you
| will have complete access to the files on the drive and remove them
| without interference.

If available, yepper !

| 2) If the OS is XP, format the drive as FAT-32 prior to installing the
| OS and give yourself the ability to boot a proper command shell from a
| floppy drive (ie - dos) and remove the offending files that way.

No. I don't agree with thios one.
You can still use NTFS and boot from DOS and load Avira's NTFS4DOS.
I believe that one SHOULD use NTFS for a NT based OS and NOT FAT32.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> | 2) If the OS is XP, format the drive as FAT-32 ...
>
> No. I don't agree with thios one.
> You can still use NTFS and boot from DOS and load Avira's
> NTFS4DOS. I believe that one SHOULD use NTFS for a NT based
> OS and NOT FAT32.

Not to dwell on this (in this NG) but I'm not alone in believing that
NTFS is not really a better file system for a single-user home or SOHO
situation vs FAT-32. Claims that NTFS is more stable, more fault
tolerant, less prone to defragmentation vs FAT-32 are largely
hypothetical and in the real world FAT-32 has shown itself to be
pretty reliable. What's more, since NTFS is proprietary, the tools
available to fix it (when it is really broken) are few, and come at a
very steep price, compared to FAT-32. Even most performance
benchmarks put FAT-32 ahead of NTFS. Not to mention that the file
system is more accessible (via DOS) when you need to get to it without
the OS interfering.

Micro$oft was addressing the file system permission structure for
corporate or other large-scale desktop deployments when they made NTFS
the default file system for NT. The need for such a permission
structure in home or soho situation is not necessary, but like so many
other aspects of NT/XP (such as a raft of system services installed by
default) it shows that MS has a "one size fits all" mentality when it
comes to Windows.

A system with an OS installed on a FAT-32 partition (and a data
partition formatted as NTFS for when you *really* have files larger
than 4 gb to work with) is optimal for XP, and I've built several
core-2 systems with 250 gb (and larger) hard drives (formatted totally
as fat-32, with 4kb cluster size) for use as multi-media / video
editing systems.
From: VictorSanduRadu on
here is the sollution to Saburex(worked for me fine) (oups now i
realise its in romanian :))) )
Ok so i'll skip the bla bla :))
so a romanian company posted the solution which makes us think off
course: if they are the only one who got the solution, they must've
made the virus:)
anyway here it goes
First u will need to download this 2 files
http://www.tg-jiu.ro/plugins/p13_download_manager/getfile.php?categoryid=29&p13_sectionid=7&p13_fileid=69&p13_versionid=69
http://advanced.evonet.ro/help-ppl/reg_backup.zip
first is the removal tool which scans all the files and the second are
the registry files that are used after using the cleaner.
Step by step procedure:
1. stop computer. un-plug pc's allimantation source and leave it like
that 10 second.
2. restart in SAFE MODE
3. when u get in windows go to Control Panel/ System / System Restore
and turn of System Restore
4.Run the patch/cleaner which is the file from the first link i added.
All my exe files in my computer were infected.
5. then run the registry files from the second link i gave u and then
give it another Clear with the first file to be sure
Also u need to go to command promt
Start - Run - CMD and run the following lines
cmd /c attrib -r -h -s -a %temp%\*.tmp
cmd /c del /y %temp%\*.tmp
cmd /c attrib -r -h -s -a %windir%\system32\ole16.dll
cmd /c ren %windir%\system32\ole16.dll vir-ole.vir

Notice that i allready delete ole16.dll when i found out the solution
therefore that didnt work for me. Also the del /y command didnt work.
No worries cause it didnt seem to affect the solution.
6. Restart ur computer normaly and reactivate system restore

AND UR GOOD TO GO!
At least everything works perfectly now.
Cheers

From: VictorSanduRadu on
[...]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5