From: Roman King on
I have been using mcafee virusscan on three computers.
Suddenly yesterday (6/19/07), all three computer prompted a virus warning
saying that ole16.dll is a virus.

Win32/Saburex.dll virus
File Path: C;\Windows\System32\ole16.dll

But McCafee couldn't delete or ignore.
I believe that ole16.dll is not a virus and an essential component of
windows.
When ole16.dll was deleted, some functions were disabled.
Eventually, I uninstalled McCafee program yesterday.

Could someone advise me how to handle ole16 problem?

Regards,
Roman

From: Art on
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:55:23 -0600, "Roman King"
<machocraig(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using mcafee virusscan on three computers.
>Suddenly yesterday (6/19/07), all three computer prompted a virus warning
>saying that ole16.dll is a virus.
>
> Win32/Saburex.dll virus
> File Path: C;\Windows\System32\ole16.dll
>
>But McCafee couldn't delete or ignore.
>I believe that ole16.dll is not a virus and an essential component of
>windows.
>When ole16.dll was deleted, some functions were disabled.
>Eventually, I uninstalled McCafee program yesterday.
>
>Could someone advise me how to handle ole16 problem?

Upload ole32.dll for scanning here:
http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html
and report back the result. It may be a legit file used by some
application, but it seems more likely that McAfee was probably
not false alarming.

You may need to scan in safe mode in order that McAfee can
remove the malware.

Art
From: Roman King on
McAfee tech advised me to scan in safe mode.
I did it last night.
It indeed removed ole16.dll as a virus.
Then, a whole chain of side effects to start to show up.
Here are two examples which I found this morning. There could be more:

a) Whenever I boot the computer, Quick Launch Pad near to Start button is
gone. Everytime I boot the computer, I got to click Toolbar >Quick Launch
to bring back the quick launch. It is a pain.

b) Another problem is the I am not able to download any file with ie6 or
flashget (download manager). The error is "Failed to Create Empty
Documents".

Roman

From: Jim on

"Roman King" <machocraig(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> McAfee tech advised me to scan in safe mode.
> I did it last night.
> It indeed removed ole16.dll as a virus.
> Then, a whole chain of side effects to start to show up.
> Here are two examples which I found this morning. There could be more:
>
> a) Whenever I boot the computer, Quick Launch Pad near to Start button is
> gone. Everytime I boot the computer, I got to click Toolbar >Quick
> Launch to bring back the quick launch. It is a pain.
>
> b) Another problem is the I am not able to download any file with ie6 or
> flashget (download manager). The error is "Failed to Create Empty
> Documents".
>
> Roman
>

> "Art" <null(a)zilch.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:55:23 -0600, "Roman King"
>> <machocraig(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using mcafee virusscan on three computers.
>>>Suddenly yesterday (6/19/07), all three computer prompted a virus warning
>>>saying that ole16.dll is a virus.
>>>
>>> Win32/Saburex.dll virus
>>> File Path: C;\Windows\System32\ole16.dll
>>>
>>>But McCafee couldn't delete or ignore.
>>>I believe that ole16.dll is not a virus and an essential component of
>>>windows.
>>>When ole16.dll was deleted, some functions were disabled.
>>>Eventually, I uninstalled McCafee program yesterday.
>>>
>>>Could someone advise me how to handle ole16 problem?
>>
>> Upload ole32.dll for scanning here:
>> http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html
>> and report back the result. It may be a legit file used by some
>> application, but it seems more likely that McAfee was probably
>> not false alarming.
>>
>> You may need to scan in safe mode in order that McAfee can
>> remove the malware.
>>
>> Art

A quick search for "ole16.dll" reveals that malware replaces the ole16.dll
(which is needed by Windows) with a file of the same name but is malware.
The malware also makes some registry changes which also need to be
corrected. Thus, there is more to removal than merely deleting the
file.

The OP should search the internet for much more comprehensive information.

Jim

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com>

| A quick search for "ole16.dll" reveals that malware replaces the ole16.dll
| (which is needed by Windows) with a file of the same name but is malware.
| The malware also makes some registry changes which also need to be
| corrected. Thus, there is more to removal than merely deleting the
| file.
|
| The OP should search the internet for much more comprehensive information.
|
| Jim

If McAfee removed this file in a Safe Mode scan then the Registry changes *may* have already
been made.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm